windows will not boot past the "starting windows" screen.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ThomasParas

problem: windows will not boot past the "starting windows" screen. The processor gets really hot as if its trying to do something but it never makes it to the desktop.

When I launch startup repair, the automatic startup repair tool always fails to fix the problem (surprise)
When I view the problem details, I get this:

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 1: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 2: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 3: unknown
Problem Signature 4: 55
Problem Signature 5: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 6: 1
Problem Signature 7: NoRootCause
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

My computer: Compaq Presario Cq62-238DX Notebook
Windows Home Premium

Ran chkdsk, no problems
tried a clean boot (no startup programs), did not get past windows startup screen
it boots into safe mode just fine, but I don't know what to do from there
tried repairing the boot sector. That didn't work.

Not sure where to take it at this point. Please help.

Did you try the Windows 7 DVD. It has a repair option too. (I'm not sure which repair you are referring to).

In my experience the repair option in the Windows 7 DVD fixes pretty much everything. If you have tried this and the problem still persists, I'm afraid that this could be a hardware problem. See if you can take it to the service center.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts