1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows will not boot unless i have disc in the drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tazire, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tazire

tazire Thread Starter

ok very strange problem, i installed windows and set it up and drivers the whole lot installed. but for some reason it say boot disc failed in the bios if i dont have the windows disc in the drive on bootup. i dont boot from the disc or anythin, just when it says press any button to boot from the cd i just leave it and windows boots up fine.

i have tried to change the boot priorty in the bios and remove the cdrom from it and still i get the same problem. have tried alsorts of different settings in here. but only thing that works is if the cdrom is set as the first boot drive then hdd as second. and then to have the windows disc in the drive.

any help would be much apreciated.
    tom

2. Mastertech

Mastertech

Does the BIOS show the HD listed? Are you sure it is properly connected with both the power connector and data cable? Make sure the HD is the only drive on it's data cable and properly jumpered for single drive or master. Then make sure the BIOS is set to Autodetect and that HD is set to boot first. If that does not work and you have access to another PC try running the Hitachi (IBM) Diagnostic on that HD.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Thats normal with the bios set to CD booting first - you sure you have changed the boot order and saved correctly

4. tazire

tazire Thread Starter

yeah everythin is perfect like. i mean i can use the pc fine it just the boot thats dodgy. i mean i can play games on it... both hard drives are accessable and read and write fine. its just for some strange reason unless there is a cd in the drive it says there is an error loading the boot disc.

also it does take about twice as long to load as it did befor the reinstall of windows.

i dont know if u need them but the pc specs are
    amd64 4000+
    1gb 3200 ram
    36gb raptor drive (boot drive, apps)
    250gd wd caviar (storage also this is an ide drive, dunno if that makes a dif)
    x1900xt

5. onsite

onsite

I think you need to look at your boot.ini file

6. tazire

tazire Thread Starter

i really dont know much bout this stuff so if you could give me more info on this boot.ini file and wat i should do to it??

7. onsite

onsite

8. onsite

onsite

9. tazire

tazire Thread Starter

here is a copy of my boot.ini file,

[boot loader]
    timeout=1
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

10. onsite

onsite

What you should do is use the recovery console and use,,,, ummm I think it is the "fixboot"
    option, to log onto your windows installation you will need your admin password, that should not be a prob since you can always set it to no password in user accounts. It is all described in the second consecutive post.

11. tazire

tazire Thread Starter

ok i got wat i have to do. but i need my windows number and i dont know where i get it. and admin pw i never set 1 in the setup. how do i sort these??

12. onsite

onsite

WHY DO YOU NEED THE CD KEY ?:confused:
    It should be on the computer case
    or if a notebook, the bottom
    if you did the recovery console you should not need the cdkey
    here is a program you can find it with
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice