1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows will not load

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rodman, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rodman

rodman Thread Starter

dell 233 p-2 4 gig hd--on board sound and agp 4 meg card cdroom and flopy no other hard ware had nt 4.0 installed deleated partition reformated instaled win 98 se loads to last boat at this point get mesage ( windows protection error you need to restart your computer ......... c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd: missing/unable to load..)

any ideas ran scandisk no erors on drive replaced hd same thing

thanks

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. rodman

rodman Thread Starter

have reloaded 6 times not able to get a good load have used 3 dfrient 98se disks this happens during load gets to last reboat able to get in to save mode that is it but not able to do much in sfe mode any ideas

thanks

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Very interesting. If you are able to boot in safe mode then the vmm32.vxd itself is not the problem. There is a hardware conflict (most likely), or something in your startup files causing the problem.

You can do some troubleshooting in safe mode by using msconfig to "clean boot", bypassing configuration and startup files and folders.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q192926

5. rodman

rodman Thread Starter

i have no hardware conected to pc other than keyboard mouse and montor this is what i have now done edit the autoexe.bat file to read path=c:\windows\system this now got me past the black screan now have blue screan of death a fatal exception 06 has occurred at 0000:00000017 the curent application will be terminated the rest is standard blue screan message i hit any key and got a black screan with only a mouse pointer that will move as i move the mouse ctrl-alt-del give me close program window no programs runing ..... only hardware i have is standard dell 233 cdroom flopy 32 megs ram 4 gig hd 4 meg apg vidio card p2 233 processor removed nic from pc had win nt 4.0 installed in a fat 16 removed all partitions and remade partition and haave reformated have in stalled 6 times each time be fore install i reformated ... have used a dirfernt hd same response as to before

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A fatal 06 is supposed to be indicative of software code corruption.

See what you can do using msconfig to bypass different startup folders -- autoexec.bat, config.sys, system.ini, win.ini, startup group....

7. rodman

rodman Thread Starter

up date after the above i restarted and windows came up and finished the instal and is now runing this does not make any since i have been working with computers and networks for manny years but i guss i have sean some strang things before that did not make any since do you have any ideas on this would like to find out more have 2nd drive that is stuck in same place am going to play with that one as well to see if a can fix it as well thanks for your help any ideas why

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Can't really tell you what caused it, but since normally you should not have to put a path statement in Autoexec.bat, you might want to check the msdos.sys file and see if the path and winboot directory is correct there. It's a hidden, readonly file by default (in the c:\> directory), so you will have to have "show all files" ticked in Folder Options>View to see it.

For example, here's mine:

[Paths]
    WinDir=c:\windows
    WinBootDir=c:\windows
    HostWinBootDrv=c
    UninstallDir=C:\

9. rodman

rodman Thread Starter

will check that out started on the orignal hd aplyed the same fix to autoexec.bat file same thing happened same blue screan of death then black screan restarted and then the reload continued and all apears to be well at this point problem solved thiers annother one that does not make since

thanks for the help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice