1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows will not show desktop or icons on bootup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bryboy, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bryboy

Bryboy Thread Starter

Hi all

Followed a thread for this problem which said to start up Windows XP Task Manager and select Applications Tab. New Task and type explorer.exe but this does not work for me and says it cannot find explorer.exe! So I copied another explorer.exe on a flashdrive and tried to run that. Same problem. Will run other programs such as Notepad. Anyone know what's up? Thanks. Bryan

2. cuteselvanayagam

cuteselvanayagam

hi Bryboy,

press ALT+CTR+DEl then under task manager click new task readio buton and click browse and go to c drive under windows click explorer.exe and give ok ( C:\Windows\Explorer.exe ) then it will display the icons...

3. Bryboy

Bryboy Thread Starter

Response is still the same. Windows cannot find C:\windows\explorer.exe. The file is there so why is it not finding it. I tried another Explorer.exe on my flashdrive from another computer with the same result. Any help appreciated.

4. baladio

baladio

Don't just replace the explorer.exe file with any old other explorer.exe file! It has to be the right one... But anyway, if you can see the file explorer.exe in C:\Windows, even if you can't get to it through the Run command or the New Task thing, try double-clicking on it (or single-click, whichever opens files), and see if that works. If not, try rebooting the computer. If there are still problems with it, you may want to scan the explorer.exe file with an anti-virus program and anti-spyware to make sure it's not infected. Try this:
    http://virusscan.jotti.org/
    Or this:
    http://www.virustotal.com/
    It is especially good if you have an anti-virus program that will scan memory for currently running malware.

Also, if you haven't rebooted the computer yet, if you do see explorer.exe in the processes list when you press Ctrl + Alt + Del, try clicking on it and ending that process, then (if you can open My Computer or Windows Explorer) go to C:\Windows and run Explorer.exe.

5. cuteselvanayagam

cuteselvanayagam

Don't type explorer.exe in new task. You have to point out where it is.... normaly it will be under C:\windows\explorer.exe that is all it will work

6. Bryboy

Bryboy Thread Starter

It was a version of Explorer.exe from another computer of the same operating system WindowsXP. That is now done and can't be changed.

Checked explorer.exe on http://virusscan.jotti.org/ Came up clean. I'm running AVG Free Ver 8.0 with the latest updates. I don't see Explorer.exe in the processes list. It is not loading. I tried from My Computer to run it but when you double click on it you get the message that it cannot find it. Any other program I try to run is OK.

So where does that leave me? Something appears to be stopping the computer from finding explorer.exe.

7. Bryboy

Bryboy Thread Starter

No so much the computer not finding explorer.exe because I can find the file through Task Manager, My Computer, Cmd etc. but when you tell it to open by selecting it or double clicking on it the message received is that the computer cannot find that file. Any other file such as Notepad.exe - even Internet Explorer opens and runds. Does this help?

8. baladio

baladio

My thinking is that if you can see the program in My Computer, but when you try to open it it says that it cannot find it, it might be a disk error. Therefore, you may want to run the disk check utility: My Computer> right click on C:> Properties> Tools> Check Now for errors.
    By the way, the file can still be changed to a different one, if you had happened to get the wrong one.

That's all I can think of for now.

9. Bryboy

Bryboy Thread Starter

Scan disk run with fix errors on. Ran AVG Virus Scan and then Online Virus Scan. Were viruses in Virus Vault but this is now empty. Is it possible this is a virus issue? Copied Explorer.exe to C:\ and tried to run it from there. Still tells me the computer cannot find it. Should I try setting up a new user and seeing if that fixes anything? But to do that I would have to get into Control Panel. Anyone know what file starts the control panel? This is a weird one. Sorry.

10. Bryboy

Bryboy Thread Starter

Is it possible that a virus might have put a command into the registry to make explorer.exe inaccessible and that this is loading on bootup. But the online virus scans have checked the registry.

11. Bryboy

Bryboy Thread Starter

Deleted explorer.exe from Hard Drive.
    Extracted explorer.exe from WinXP Home CD (includes SP2)
    Tried to start Explorer.exe but receive same message.
    The system cannot find the file C:\windows\explorer.exe
    I think this rules out possibility of a corrupt file but increases the possibility that there is something in the registry that is stopping windows from finding Explorer.exe. What do others think?

12. Bryboy

Bryboy Thread Starter

Trying to start control.exe from New Task in Task Manager brings the same result. "The system cannot find the file C:\windows\explorer.exe. But I can assure you Explorer.exe is there.

13. Bryboy

Bryboy Thread Starter

Apologies this is getting to be a fairly one-sided conversation!

I copied C:\windows\Explorer.exe and used the Paste command to duplicate the file. I then renamed the file and called it Bryan.exe. When I start Bryan.exe from Task Manager - New Radio Button, it runs and opens up Windows Explorer. It does not however bring up the start menu or desktop icons for me. Then when I try to run the same file called Explorer.exe I receive the message as before "The system cannot find the file C:\windows\explorer.exe".

14. Bryboy

Bryboy Thread Starter

Perhaps I just have to accept that Windows installation is corrupt and do a fresh install. Since it's only three months since that was done I'm not amused!

When I try to get to the Repair option using the WinXP Home CD (which should come after accepting the License Agreement by pressing F8 I am not being given that option even though I can see the partition ok. Is this an indication that the Windows installation is too corrupt to run a repair on?

If I need to do a complete reinstall so be it, but there is so much on this computer I prefer to reserve that as a final and only option before I start. What do they say, desperate people do desperate things! Bother.

15. Bryboy

Bryboy Thread Starter

I'm holding off from doing a reinstall for at least 48 hours so if anyone has any suggestions please do me a favour and post. I don't like letting things like this beat me without knowing why they happened - even if I can't fix them. I'll make sure all data is secure in the meantime. Thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice