1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows will not start

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Dheggo91, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dheggo91

Dheggo91 Thread Starter

Hi ,
    I have a samsung laptop that is about 4 years old and u recently tried to update windows from 8.1 to 10 using the free upgrade available.
    All seemed to go well until the start up (which seemed to be the last part of the update) where it just shows the Samsung logo.
    I have tried F8, F2, F4 for start up options/safe mode etc but leads to 'preparing automatic repair' which then leads straight to error box stating:
    RecEnv.exe -application error
    'The exception of unknown software exception (0xc06d007e) occurred in the application at location 0x00007FFDEEF57788.'

I have also tried F10 which leaves me with a blank/black screen with no messgae/logo.
    It seems windows is completely lost, I'm wondering before I try to get my hands on a samsung windows recovery disk/usb - will the recovery disc/usb work if I can't access any boot up options/safe mode/bios etc?
    Sorry for the long message, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The free upgrade to 10 offer from Microsoft ended on Jul 29 LAST YEAR
    so what is recently please

3. Dheggo91

Dheggo91 Thread Starter

Hi Macboatmaster,

Yes this may have been a mistake , I had tried to do the update early 2016, and it was unsuccessful as well, similar situation but I was able to get to boot up options and restore the computer.
    Unfortunately I looked up whether or not the the update was still available in late February 2017, and i found that ''it was still available'' on a Microsoft website, so felt it was trustworthy and went for it. To be honest I didn't read the small print, there was definitely something about only download if you have 'such and such on/for your computer'

Feel like an idiot - but my plan was to completely restore the computer as it was running slow and I said maybe ill try and update windows too......
    Thanks for you reply

Dave

4. Macboatmaster

If you refer to this
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

it is as stated only available if you use assistive technology such as for example
    and the assistive technology must already be in use

That said it is pointless trying to sort out the error if this is what you were installing, as presumably you are not eligible, otherwise you would not have a course have a doubt

The error can be caused by drivers involved in the install, a corrupted installation or sometimes problems on the hard disk

What OS was on the Samsung when you bought it

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  5. Dheggo91

Dheggo91 Thread Starter

That's exactly what it was.
    I think I deserve the broken laptop to be honest. I didn't read what it meant at the time.
    Am I snookered now?

6. Dheggo91

Dheggo91 Thread Starter

..Because I was going to do a clean up of laptop I thought there would be no harm in trying and I would be able to a system restore if it failed/needed.

7. Macboatmaster

So what please is the answer

8. Dheggo91

Dheggo91 Thread Starter

Sorry did not see that last part, It was windows 8 when i bought it.

9. Macboatmaster

OK there are two ways to go
    IF you have nothing on the laptop that you need the easy way is to download from Microsoft a windows 8.1 installation disk
    You MUST download the same bit version eg 32 or 64 bit as was on the laptop - normally would expect it to be 64 bit
    The same edition eg 8.1 or 8.1 professional and the same language version
    If you download the wrong one it will not work

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8

you will NOT need a licence key as the Samsung having had 8 on it and upgraded to 8.1 is registered on the Microsoft activation servers.

Make the install media on another computer and all being well it will boot the Samsung
    If you do not go that route and attempt recovery from the factory recovery of the Samsung you will be back as sold - on 8.

If it will not boot from the install media post back with the FULL model details of the samsung

10. Dheggo91

Dheggo91 Thread Starter

Thanks again for your response.
    I will try that this evening, just to be clear about;
    'Make the install media on another computer and all being well it will boot the Samsung'...

..I download the correct version onto a different computer, then do I put that onto a usb device and plug it in to my comp before start up?
    Or am i mixing things up?
    Thanks again
    Dave

11. Macboatmaster

That's correct
    You download the tool
    choosing as I said the bit, version of 8.1 and language
    you then follow directions to make the install media on a usb or dvd if your Samsung has dvd
    you then insert the usb and as you presumably booted from the usb install for the 10 you do the same with the 8.1

If it will not boot the computer then as I said post back

As you have posted any way send the full model details as requested

12. Dheggo91

Dheggo91 Thread Starter

Hi agaim, sorry for delay the usb I had wasn't large enough, I got a rewritable DVD instead which I successfully burned the windows iso file. (Win8.1 -64 bit-English UK)
    I returned the laptop on so I could open the disc drive and turned it off again.
    When I boot the laptop I can hear the DVD loading and trying to do something but still just shows the samsung logo screen.
    Is there any special key I should press on start up? Or should it just automatically load it?
    Would the same thing happen if I chose the incorrect bit/language?

Make : Samsung
    Model: Notebook NP270E5G
    Model code: NP270E5G-K01UK
    Input:19v
    Windows 8
    Intel inside

Thanks

Dave

13. Macboatmaster

If the usb you had was not large enough how did you get a 10 install on it?

You have to configure the laptop to boot from the dvd this is done either in setup - BIOS - UEFI
    or on the one time boot menu which should be displayed on the first screen - press F? for setup and F? for boot menu
    Give me chance to have a look at the notebook manual and I will post back -

Entering the BIOS Setup

1 Turn the computer on.

Immediately press the F2 key several times.

2 After a moment, the BIOS setup screen appears.

The items in the BIOS setup may differ depending on the

product.

Then

As an example, the procedures to change the highest boot priority

device to the hard disk drive are described below.

The screen images and terms may differ from actual product

depending on the computer model and driver version.

1 Select the Boot menu in the BIOS Setup.

2 Press <Enter> on the Boot device Priority item.

3 Press the down key (↓) to move to the SATA CD item and

press the F6 key to move up to the top item.

Boot Menu

[Boot Priority Order]

1. SATA CD : XXXXXXXXXXXX

2. SATA HDD : XXXXXXXXXXXX

3. USB CD : N/A

4. USB FDD : N/A

5. USB HDD : N/A

6. NETWORK : N/A

4 Press the F10 key to save the settings and exit Setup.

IF YOU CANNOT get to BIOS setup by tapping F2 immediately the computer powers on then try disconnecting battery and power. Hold down power button for a full 20 secs. Reconnect power only and try again

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  14. Dheggo91

Dheggo91 Thread Starter

I didnt use a usb for windows 10.
    Just that Microsoft link that you correctly found that was for assistive technology.
    So I just downloaded/installed from that directly. Which then restarted and left it as it is now.

The issue is there are no options on boot up, none of F functions give me options.. F2 /F4/F8 'preparing to repair' which leads to the error box and other functions(F10) leave me with complete blank screen.
    Your a gentleman, thanks so much.

No panic

15. Macboatmaster

As per my last para on my previous post

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice