1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Wireless Networking - logon to prefered network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by loneharanguar, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loneharanguar

loneharanguar Thread Starter

I have a wireless network in my house. This week my neighbour got one too. Now when my laptop boots, it tries to log on to my neighbours network first!

I have listed my network as the first one on the list of preferred networks. I have even removed my neighbours network from the list. Nothing seems to work.

I really don't like disconnecting from my neighbours network prior to logging on my own.

Any ideas?
    Mike

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is it still set to connect to "any" network?

What utility are you using to manage the connection?

3. loneharanguar

What do you mean about is it still connecting to any net? I'm using win xp's utilities to manage the network connection.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "What do you mean about is it still connecting to any net?"

Actually I said "any" network. Some utilities default to connect to any ol' network that is in range (e.g., your neighbor's). I don't recall whether Windows' WZC defaults to this.

Make sure that your adapter's utility is not also running--if it is it could be connecting behind your back.

5. loneharanguar

Thanks for the advice... The network stopped connecting all together. I then went and examined the settings for the linksys router. My WEP key values had changed! How I do not know. The log files did not show any suspicious IP addresses, there has been no changes in any of the machines on the network.

Correcting the WEP values and I am able to recconect. It still connects to my neighbour on occasion. You would think that XP would have a setting to connect to a particular network, and no others...

Thanks for your help,
    Mike

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "You would think that XP would have a setting to connect to a particular network, and no others..."

If you mean the WZC utility it DOES have that capability. Did you make sure your adapter's utility is not also running?

7. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Try removing your neighbor's network from the list entirely. Also, you may want to try changing the channel on your wireless router.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice