1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows won’t boot up

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Stealthz, Dec 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

I have a Lenovo laptop. Out of the blue, windows does not boot up. When it starts, I see the Lenovo logo. Sometimes it says starting automatic recovery” ornaomehibg of that nature. It then goes to a black screen and just stays there.

How can I fix this, without losing my data? There are definitely files I would want to save before erasing everything, but would be fine restoring previous settings and losing programs as long as i didn’t lose all my photos/documents.

I don’t see anyway to start in safe mode and/or do a system restore. I am able to get to BIOS. From bios?”, is there a way to access safe mode/system restore or a way to do this from BIOS without losing all my files?

Thank you for your help

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

Does this work by mounting these files on a usb drive? Since I don’t have a DVD burner, I did that, and set bios to enable to boot from usb. However, it’s doing the same thing - Lenovo screen shows, then it goes straight to a black screen.

Also in my bios, I see these options

“reset to setup mode” ( Clear PK, disable secure boot, and enter setup mode”
    And
    “Restore factory defaults” (Restore all secure boot database to factory default include PK, KEK, db, and dbx)

Will both of these options erase al my files? Or will it just set up defaults on the boot up and allow me to still access my files?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Don't know what PK stands for. But for sure 'Restore factory defaults' will erase everything and start from scratch.;

5. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

So apparently both options just reset the BIOS to default settings and keep files. That didn’t help though.

I did get my laptop to boot from the usb drive. It brings up the windows8 reinstall/repairs options. However, I’m confused at what I need to do. There are options such as:

“Exit and continue to Windows 10” (I believe I had window8. That is what came with my laptop, and that’s what it says in my bios. I am positive I have just windows8 files on the usb. I can’t be sure in the many years I’ve had the laptop that I haven’t installed windows10. But wouldn’t it. Or say windows8 in my bios then?)

I’ve tried “refreshing” windows as well as restoring to earlier restore point. With both options, my screen just goes to a black light blue screen (windows screen) and stays there. No solution done.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice