Windows won’t start, when it does, eventually hangs again

nekoshoyo

Hey there, yesterday morning my brother turned our PC on and for some reason the screen was blank and nothing was showing up. He informed me and said some error related to “CHDSK” was showing up. After restarting and going to safe mode (where the screen was visible), we opened command prompt and did the “chkdsk /f” command for C disk, as was instructed by an article we pulled up on google. The computer did its thing, and we managed to turn on Windows in normal mode. However, everything was still extremely slow. Login screen took a solid 15 minutes to pop up, same for the desktop. Upon trying to click something on the screen, everything would hang again and we had to restart. We went into safe mode again and ran “chkdsk /r” this time. Restarted, and everything seemed fine. For a while things ran smoothly and we thought it had been fixed, but later everything started slowing down again and now upon restarting the computer automatically starts up Windows repair every single time. The message popping up has been attached.

Attachments

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Sounds like the drive is going and may need to be replaced.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I also tend to agree the hard disk drive(HDD) needs to be replaced and Windows 7 needs to be re-installed in it.

nekoshoyo

We have had this PC for upwards of 3-4 years now, and it isn’t even on the market anymore. Would you say it’s better to just invest in buying a new one as more problems might still pop up in the future?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
We know nothing about the hardware in that computer and what shape it's in, so we don't know how much it's worth.

It's your choice whether to repair that one or buy a new one.

Depending on where you live and what's available, a refurbished/reconditioned one might be a good option.

-------------------------------------------------

Couriant

James
I think a new hard drive would be a good choice to start with, especially if you haven't had any other issues with it.

plodr

Liz
We have had this PC for upwards of 3-4 years now
I'm typing this message on a desktop computer that was purchased in October 2009. My laptop is from August 2013.

My husband's desktop computer is a refurb that is probably from 2007 and his laptop is from 2011.
All 4 of these are running Windows 7.

If you keep the computers maintained, you can expect them to last more than 4 years. You might have to replace a hard drive or a power supply and in a laptop, the battery if you don't want to keep it plugged in all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online