1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Wont Boot have disc

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cecilep61280, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cecilep61280

cecilep61280 Thread Starter

I have an Acer 5100, It wont boot windows and on attempting to hit ALT F10 it just beeps. SO i got a WIndows XP SP2 disc i inserted it into my computer. It gave me an error saying to insert the automated system recovery disc. I dont have this...am i doing something wrong? The computer wont even load windows. Do I have to try something else to get windows to load? Im not familiar with using Windows Cd's so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. cecilep61280

Did checkdisc and recieved this error.. "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"....Am i pretty much done?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

How did you do a chkdsk?

Did you try chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console?

Do you have a floppy?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

If that came with Vista, you probably cannot format with XP disk but I don't understand why alt F10 did not take you to the restore partition...the hard drive may be shot is the only thing I can think of. Did you check that the bios is set to boot to cd-dvd drive 1st drive?

5. cecilep61280

yes it booted the cd and i tried the option 2 to restore, and then i typed in chdsk /r or whatever and thats the error it gave me. It also never had vista installed on it, it was always sp2 which is the same cd im using.

6. cecilep61280

Ok so i tried just reinstalling the operating system and it asking me what partition to install to.
    partition 1 eisa utilities 4997mb 438mb free, C:partition 2 [Unknown] 54486mb 54486mb free
    D; partition 3 (acer data) [FAT32] 54988mb 54973mb free........ WHat do i choose?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

In the Recovery Console, try fixboot and fixmbr.

Type:

map

How is that partition designated?

8. cecilep61280

i would help but i dont even know what you mean by partition and how is designated....please explain how to find that out? Im not very computer savvy lol

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you going to erase everything on that drive?

Do you want to delete the recovery partition from the drive?

You can't run that installation and keep everything as it is on the machine since that is not the CD that installed it originally, was it?

10. cecilep61280

i dont care if i lose everything on the drive, i would prefer to have it since i have 2 semesters of schoolwork on it, but i just need that computer fixed for school purposes. And no this is not the original cd that came with the computer. This was given to me from a friend but is authentic

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. If you are prepared to lose everything, and you have a CD product key that is for that version of XP, then you can continue with the installation. But the system was set up to recover from a recovery partition, so it has a non-standard MBR and partitions (divisions of the drive). In order for it to work properly and to give you the whole drive to use, you need to remove all the partitions on the drive when it gives you the option.

When the entire drive is unallocated, then create a partition (the whole drive size, the max, if you want) and then continue with the installation. You should choose a full NTFS format since you are unsure of the condition of the drive.

If you can't remove all the partitions, stop and we will do it another way.

If that CD key has been used before, activation of XP will fail, so it needs to be a new key or one that is no longer in use.

12. cecilep61280

well while i was wiating for an answer the computer shut down and i started the cd again, it then gave me a BLUE SCREEN ERROR!! error saying unmountable boot volume......im going to try to reinstall again...now if i get to that screen where it asks me about partitions you want me to delete all the partitions?

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, all of them. But, read the whole thing. You have a valid, unused CD key? Don't get ahead of yourself and install an XP that won't work.

14. cecilep61280

I believe it is unused. He stated to me that it will work, and im hoping to trust him on that.

15. cecilep61280

ok he said he installed the SP2 cd he gave me on his mac, but he also gave me a x64 version that was never used. Im lost as to what to do here, im a college student so going out and buying a complete version is basically out of question and ill have to suffer if thats the case. I dunno if XP x64 will install on my computer or not.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice