Windows won't boot. Must get to my biz files!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jwhite731

When I boot up, I get the DOS boot, but my PC will not boot to Windows. I get to the screen that shows the Windows icon and the progress bar below, but it seems when Windows is about to kick in, my monitor clicks 3 times as if in attempt to open windows, then just goes blank. :eek:

How I got to this point: For a few months prior, I kept getting a prompt that my virtual memory was low. I have a 120GB hard drive. Decided to "fix" problem. I referred to a book called "Troubleshooting Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional." Following its instructions, I went in Disk Cleanup and removed temporary and temporary Internet files. The book also gave me the option to compress files. At this point, my own memory is low, in that I can't remember the sequence of my actions. I remember a fog of "NTFS," properties, "still not enough space," and that wicked "Clean up..." button.

Oy vey! When I restarted my computer, I was introduced to hell...no Windows...no business folders, email lists, client information, etc. I was running a client's marketing campaign from my PC. I even lost a book I had started.

I don't have the disk, and I've lost all of my mind. Please help me get my valuable data back. I will be ever grateful. Save me please.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online