1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urban gyspy, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urban gyspy

urban gyspy Thread Starter

Hey guys, hopefully I can explain this as best as possible..and wasn't sure where to put it so feel free to move it.

My computer was working ok, shut it down for the night..turned it on the next day and it wouldn't boot. It took me to the screen of options to load in normal mode, safe mode etc, I have tried them all and it just takes me back to the same screen.
    I was told that I should set it to boot from disc, so I went in BIOS and changed it to boot from disc but now im getting an error saying 'boot failure, reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot drive' I can set the settings back but just wondered if this is fixable and how to do it, or if it's died for good. It's quite an old time computer, and has been working fine.. but never had any problems with it like this before, i'm using xp pro.
    Many thanks

2. dannyn

dannyn

If you select "boot from disc" you have to insert the windows xp cd.
    You should be booting from the hard drive, which I guess in some cases could be called disc, ut just make sure that you choose the hard drive where xp is installed.

3. golddust

golddust

If you are able to boot that computer - whether from a cd or a recovery section on your hard drive (if your computer manufacturer put the recovery files there ), I'd get all my info off that drive and look for a new hard drive. I've been there twice over the last few years and it sounds like your hard drive is about to say "bye, bye" - if it hasn't already!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice