1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows won't detect wireless networks?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LeeAnne1990, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LeeAnne1990

LeeAnne1990 Thread Starter

For the past few weeks I have been having problems with my HP laptop.

For starters my laptop will not restart. I try to restart it and it shuts down, but won't reboot all of the way. It gets stuck on the black screen you get just before the HP sceens comes up. So I have to press the power button ( after which I do, I get a loud POP sound before the computer shuts off ) and then turn it on again myself.
    Also, if my computer goes in to sleep mode due to inactivity, it will not wake up. I have to press the power button to turn it off, and then start it up again.

After this happens, my laptop cannot detect any networks. I have to unplug the charger, and then I have to take out the battery and put it back in before it detects networks.

I took it to best buy ( where I bought the computer and have a warranty at ) and they did a diagnostic test and determined that I had several viruses causing the problems. After paying 200 bucks they ''fixed'' my computer and I brought it home, only to have the same exact problems I was having before.

This computer isn't even a year old... What could be wrong?

2. LeeAnne1990

LeeAnne1990 Thread Starter

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suspect a hardware problem, so make sure you get this attended to while it is still under warranty.

Depending on what media you have available (probably a Recovery partition and/or Recovery DVDs) I suggest to format the Windows partition and reinstall or "Recover to factory defaults." If the same problems continue after that you know it's hardware. If that fixes the problems then you know it was software corruption, probably caused by the viruses.

4. Blacqwolf

Blacqwolf

I would think this is either software corruption or viruses. As TerryNet said, I would try doing a factory restore of the HD, using the recovery partition. The way to do this on most modern HP computers is to press the F11 key on the HP logo screen.

Booting from the recovery partition:

On the HP screen you see when booting, press F11. The Recovery Manager stored on the recovery partition should boot. If booting the recovery utility this way doesn't work for you, try pressing the key it says to do to enter the BIOS on the HP screen, eg if it would say on the HP screen "Press Esc to enter startup options," press Esc while on the HP screen. Look for the option to boot from the recovery partition. (this option is often labeled in the HP BIOS as System Recovery.)

Booting from recovery CDs:

If for some reason you are unable to boot from the recovery partition, you may want to try recovery discs from the machine you created before, if you made them using HP's Recovery Manager. If you didn't make them, HP lets you order recovery discs specific to your model - they tend go for about 17 dollars or so, I think. Go to the driver downloads page for your computer, and look for the option for recovery media in the list of downloads. If you find it, click it and follow the instructions for ordering a CD. Make sure you order them for your specific model, or else it may not let you install.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice