1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows wont instal new hardware drivers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sabbathcrazy, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sabbathcrazy

sabbathcrazy Thread Starter

Hi i just put a new copy of windows XP on my dell optiplex GX260. I do not have the driver disk but i think i was able to recover most the drivers online. The reason i am telling you this is because i think it might be a missing driver problem but i am not sure. Any ways.....

I have tryed 3 diffrent pices of hardware. 2 of them being USB internet adapters and the other one is a pci wirless internet card. Non of them will install the drivers. Its kind of weird the USB keyboard and mouse worked. I go to the device manager and it shows a ! icon.

It says the hardware has not been installed because it cannot find the necisary software. Well I did install the CD's one of the adapters does not even come with a cd its just supposed to be poped in, instaled and ready to go. I tested them on another comp and they worked fine.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the 7-character service tag number on the sticker of your Dell OptiPlex GX260?

We need to identify the devices and locate the drivers that are specific only to that desktop.

Is all the original hardware still inside the case?

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. sabbathcrazy

Well i did not buy the computer from dell. I got it at a shop in my town. For some reason it has a diffrent serves tag on it. All the drivers i have downloaded on to it are for a Dell optiplex Gx260 what is the name of the driver i need? I can look for it, i just dont know what i need.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

What Flavallee is asking you is THE NUMBER ON THE SERVICE TAG it does not matter where you got it from.
    That number identifies YOUR Dell Optiplex GX260. There were many different variants of that computer with different chipsets etc.

Against what?

5. sabbathcrazy

Again the sticker is not for the GX260 its for another computer. I dont know why. I checked when i entered the serves tag number on the dell site. Some one stuck another service tag sticker on top of the original. But you dont have to have the service tag number. I can tell you that hardware, though. P4 1.8mhz 1gb of ram the chip set is a intel 82801db. The ! is under other devices oviasly the 2 USB adapters and the PCI internet card all come up with ! on the device manager. Iv tried multiple times to install them but failed. Im guess i am missing a driver. Am i right?

So if i am what kind of driver is it?

6. sabbathcrazy

opps sorry i do have it. It looked as if on the tag the letter B was a 8. The tag number is 4kkgb21

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Service tag number 4KKGB21 is assigned to this Dell OptiPlex GX260 desktop. I suggest that you add and save this site to your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can refer to it when needed.

This is the original hardware configuration for that desktop.

This is the available list of Windows XP device drivers for that desktop.

In the "Audio" section, this is the sound driver for that desktop.

In the "Network" section, this is the Intel wired network adapter driver for that desktop.

In the "Video" section, this is the graphics driver for that desktop.

Download and save all 3 drivers, close all open windows first, then install them. Make sure to restart the computer after installing each driver.

If you currently can't get on-line with that desktop, use a working computer to download and save the drivers, then copy them or burn them off to a USB thumb drive or CD-R, then use that media to install the drivers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/959217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice