1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows wont install after reboot...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Hatty324, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hatty324

Hatty324 Thread Starter

I am farely good with computers, especially bug type issues, so my friend has been having this problem with his computer, so I decided to help him out and fix it, but I ran into a problem of my own.

Here are his computer stats:

Pentium 2: 266 mhz (ouch)
    Ram: 64 mb
    HD: 6.1 gb

Those are just minor stats, so you can tell his computer is very old. and with old computers, problems arise.

A little while ago, whenever he'd boot up his computer, when it tried to load the operating system it wouldn't load, and the disk drive thingy would pop up:

A:/>

It was like the computer thought there was a disk in drive A, when there wasn't so it wouldn't load windows.

I tried booting into Safe mode, it would work, but then when it tried to load windows, same exact thing would happen.

I practically tried everything I could think of, and I couldn't get it to work. I thought it might be a virus. I hooked his hd up to mine, did a virus scan, found 12 viruses, 10 were fixed, 2 quarunteened. Then I pulled off his most important files and put htem on my computer. Tried booting up his computer, no luck.

So then I did the only other thing I could think of, wipe his hd clean and reinstall windows 98. Then after I did that, I started up the comp with the win 98 cd in the drive...It said, please put correct disk in correct drive, so i thought, o duh win 98 has that boot up disk. I put that in there. That wasn't much help. I read through the help file, tried everything it pretty much said, nothing worked. And it seemed the boot disk is more for if win98 has a problem, well I dont even have it freakin installed yet.

It will not read the cd in the drive and therefor will not install win 98. Is his computer useless, or is there something I have to do to get it installed?

2. Jizzmack

Jizzmack

set it on fire and see if it smokes.

problem fixed next case.

3. Hatty324

Hatty324 Thread Starter

thats what i want to do to it, he just doesn't have the money for a new computer.

4. Jizzmack

Jizzmack

I think you need the Installation disk and you got a system restoration disk for Windows 98 that isn't gonna help you.

anybody else???????????????

just my 2 cents

good luck

5. mobo

mobo

Try a fresh bootdisk from here as you say it doesn't read the cdrom.

6. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

7. Hatty324

Hatty324 Thread Starter

thanks ill try that and tell you what happened.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice