1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows won't load past black XP screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dterlec, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dterlec

dterlec Thread Starter

Hi Tech Support Guy Forums~

Turned the computer on today and Windows will not load, gets as far as the black Windows XP page with the loading scroll bar. Nothing happens beyond that. Everything was working fine yesterday and nothing was downloaded or installed to indicate where to start looking. Tried installing 1GB RAM last month to no avail and took it out. Things have been okay since. Have read some posts that suggest using the Windows install CD to repair whatever but I didn't get one with the computer only have the Windows recovery disk. Specs listed below.

System:
    eMachines T3418 Desktop Windows XP
    AMD Sempron Processor 3400+
    2.01GHz 384MB RAM

AntiVirus/Spy/Malware:
    CA Antivirus and spyware
    SpyBot
    Malwarebytes

Internet/Browser:
    Road Runner High Speed
    FireFox Browser
    Juno Browser
    Internet Explorer (don't use this as it always has problems.)

Have run all virus, spy and malware scanners today and nothing was found by any of them. Any help, thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Will it boot to Safe Mode.
    Tap F 8 as the Pc is starting up.

If no joy in reaching safe mode.
    Reboot - tap F8
    Choose.
    Safe mode with command prompt..
    Log on as administrator.
    Type.
    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    Press enter>Choose>Launch system restore.

Choose date prior to the problem.

3. dterlec

dterlec Thread Starter

Hi there blues_harp28~

I should have mentioned in my first post that I could boot in safe mode and had already used system restore to no avail. Unable to start Windows happened on Sunday morning, restored to Friday and still no loading. Following your post started through safe mode with command prompt and restored to Wednesday and was able to load Windows.

Now what? What happened and how do I fix it or keep it from happening again? I know there may be no way of knowing what happened but any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried system Recovery? I'm not sure about eMachines, but many recovery systems have an option to use one of Windows own restore points. You could see if it is available. Tap F10 or F11 on boot to access recovery, or try booting from your recovery CD to see what options are available.

Does the scrolling bar stop on the MS screen or keep moving?

5. dterlec

dterlec Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not tried system recovery. Is that different from Windows recovery which reinstalls a fresh copy of Windows and results in loss of everything on the computer? Is using a system recovery restore point different from system restore through the help and support menu? I've seen F10 to access boot menu. I'll restart and look under that to see what options are available.

The scrolling bar stutters once in a while but never stops scrolling.

Thank You!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You have to be careful about what those recovery options are named. The one I am referring to is the "System Restore" that is accessible through the Start menu. In XP, you need to be running Windows (ordinarily) to access System Restore. But since some new machines come with no CD's, many have set it up so that the same System Restore can be accessed through the booted recovery partition on the hard drive. That is the same one that would reinstall Windows, the option you don't want unless needed. System Restore will only restore the "system" to an earlier date, leaving all your personal files intact.

Is there an option in that boot menu to boot to that other partition instead of starting Windows?

7. NozzaC

NozzaC

There isn't a simple process to find out what went wrong or stopping it happening again. You can only troubleshoot it and see where it takes you.

Look at the even logs for starters to see if Windows was aware of problems leading up to it.

Try running chkdsk in case you suffered some file system corruption which led to registry or other system file damage.

The fact that it started in safe mode implies the problem could be with a driver or service. If you installed anything accepted any updates before the crash then this could be a pointer as to what went wrong.

If you've had any BSOD's before or during this process then BlueScreenView might help you identify the object at fauilt.

But if it's working fine now then I wouldn't worry too much.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/927564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice