1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows wont load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Teevo, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Teevo

Teevo Thread Starter

Afternoon all. I came home from work today and while playing World of Warcraft, my pc froze. So i restarted as usual, but this time i didnt get past the bios boot screen. It seemed to stop after saying "PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable." So i thought it was a fluke ocurrence being that ive never seen that message in the past 4.5 yrs that ive had this computer. So i restarted it again, same thing. So i turned it off, opened her up, and checked the cables. Nothing seemed noticeably wrong so i closed her up and turned her back on.

This time i got past the boot screen with no issues, but now its just staying at the windows loading screen. Doesnt do anything else. I am able to get into windows using safe mode if that means anything.

Any ideas or suggestions guys? I apologize for not being able to post my specs but im posting this via my phone.

Im using Windows XP (SP3)

If theres a way to do something in safe mode with using the internet, let me know and ill post whatever you need. I await further instruction, and ty in advance.

2. Teevo

Teevo Thread Starter

Change that. Tried going into safe mode again, all i got was a black screen with the safe mode title, then got a blue screen about a minute later.

3. Teevo

Teevo Thread Starter

I just cleaned it out thoroughly, as well as reseated my ram to see if one of them died on me. No changes, still stuck on windows loading screen.

Obviously it could be a plethera of possibilities, but is there any signs that would lean one way or the other? Motherboard gone bad? Power supply? Video card? Those are my first thoughts.

4. Teevo

Teevo Thread Starter

Did some more reading. From comparing other peoples experiences, it sounds like 1 of 3 possibilities: a driver wont load and ill need to figure out which one it is and disable it, the motherboard is corrupt and needs fixed, or the motherboard is bad and needs replaced. Gonna see what else i can find while i wait for a response.

5. Teevo

Teevo Thread Starter

Ok, things to note:

- I tried going into safe mode with command prompt; it let me, so i typed chkdsk /f but it said it couldnt use it because it was being used by another process, and then asked if i wanted it to check this device after the next reboot, i said yes and restarted; no luck
    - I can get into regular safe mode under the admin user, but as soon as i tried clicking something it froze
    - if i try going into safe mode under my user profile, the screen is black and all i see is the header and "safe mode" in each corner

6. Teevo

Teevo Thread Starter

Ok, got out my xp disk and chose repair. From there i typed the chkdsk command, and it said 'the volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked.' I dont really want to try other things because i dont want to accidentally lose my files. I know you are all busy and will get to me when you can, i just figured the more info i can share, the better chances are of us finding a solution or source of the problem.

7. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

8. Teevo

Teevo Thread Starter

Not sure how to check the boot order once im in my bios. Ill try to read up on how to do this..

9. blues_harp28

On the screen that shows the boot [start up] order.
    You use the arrow keys to move the hard drive to the top of the list.
    Save changes and Exit - F10 will usually do that.
    Make no other changes while in the bios.

The screen will look something like this.
    You want the hard drive set first in the list.
    http://techpaul.wordpress.com/2007/08/03/how-to-boot-from-a-cd/

10. Teevo

Teevo Thread Starter

First boot device is [removable], second is cdrom, third is hard disk, boot other device is enabled.

11. Teevo

Teevo Thread Starter

Ok it says Hard disk boot priority: [press enter] When i hit enter, it takes me to a screen with two options:

1. Ch6 M. : ST3500320AS
    2. Bootable Add-in cards

Do i select the first one?

12. blues_harp28

Move the hard drive to first in the list - save changes and exit the Bios.

13. blues_harp28

Ch6 M. : ST3500320AS

14. Teevo

Teevo Thread Starter

If you want that one in the #1 spot, it already is.

15. Teevo

Teevo Thread Starter

Or are you wanting me to change the "First boot device: [Removable]" to have that show as the hard drive?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice