Windows won't load....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hruiz14

Hi, i've been on here before but i usually find what i'm looking for by reading past threads. But now i'm stuck.

Ok first off, i was intalling my new SBC DSL, when it went to connect it said that the page was intercepted by a blaster type virus. But it also said that it could be because of something else but i couldn't remember what it said. Well anyway, i called SBC support and they told me that sometimes it says that and to just ignore it. So i finished the intstallation. But now when i start my computer up I get error messages from all the programs that start up even explorer.exe. They say that there was an error and will be shut down by windows. So anyway, thats as far as i can get. No icons or anything will come up. I can start the computer up in Safe mode and i am backing up some files that i want to keep incase i have to reformat the computer which i would like to stay away from.

Anyone have any suggestions on what i can try to fix it? Thanks in advance.

BTW. i'm on a second computer right now.

First thing you need to do is a System restore point from Safe Mode if it will let you. Go back before SBC. Do you have an up-to-date anti-virus program?? Somethimes their software will trigger an anti-virus program, this is true, but I have done over 50 SBC DSL setups and never seen one. BTW, you don't need their software to get online with their modem. You can manually enter the modem's IP which is printed on the bottom of the modem, login with their username and password, they will give it to you at tech support, ask them. Then reigister your name and password, log off, and then logon to your username. IMO, their software is suspect. (i.e. crap) but that is just my opinion. Bottom line, I think you are infected and you should scan with a good a/v and find out. ( www.my-etrust.com/microsoft )

hruiz14

How do i do a system restore point? I'm in safe mode with networking right now. I Just downloaded that EZAntiVirus and am scanning my computer. But will it actually scan everything even though I am in Safe Mode? Thanks.

A few things first: 1) REMOVE all other anti-virus programs before etrust install. 2) You do not have to scan in the SAFE mode but it makes no difference. If eTrust was updated on install, then let it scan, it will find anything infectious. Also, at Microsoft's web site, there is a FREE Spyware program. It realy is a pretty good program written by the now defunct Giant Software Company. You should download that and run it also. System Restore is located; START\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.

BTW, all this is of course assuming you are using WinXP Home or Pro.....

hruiz14

Actually I am running Win 2K. But I was able to get online in safe mode and install EZAntivirus and run it. It worked now i'm able to get on normal mode. It did find some spyware and other stuff but no virus. But my computer seems to be running fine now. Thanks for all the help. I'll go get that spyware as well. Thanks again.

eTrust will not find spyware. If it found something then it was a virus or a trojan. Microsoft's Beta Spyware will find your spyware. As with anything in computers, it may take more than one spyware program to remove your spyware. SOme people will run a combination of software like Spybot and HighJackThis. Keep the eTrust up to date to prevent further infections.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online