Windows wont load...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DiabloDj1

When I load windows, it gets up to the loading screen, stays on for a second, or less, and then just the screen blanks out and restarts again...

This is after my first PC build. THe Harddrive is detected fine...(its also the one i used from the old computer I had...)

What can i do for this?

if you can reboot windows ini safe mode try that (typically done by holding down F8 during thePOST). If you can boot in safe mode try safe mode, then try f8 and choose last known good configuratioin.

if this doesnt work guess what reinstall windows cause you're registry is probably toast.

DiabloDj1

I tried that, also tried last workin config...

bad part is, the dude who made my old comp didnt give us the xp disc soo..i got no OS i guess...

ahh wait im gonna lose all my past data huh? Damn...this sucks..

not necessarily if you can boot to safe mode and try a sys restore, although i highly doubt it it might be a virus or spyware. try to boot to safe mode and try a scanreg from run. all is not lost and your data is never truly all the way lost. there are plenty of programs out there that can mirror your data and save it so you can format, of course you don't want to keep anything that would be potentially corrupted.

from the sound of it where it fails it might be a problem with the windows welcome screen you can disable the welcome screen in safe mode by going to start -> control panel -> users -> change the way people log on.

i dont know trying to think of any other work-around that could help w/o having to completely wipe your pc and reinstall windows.

DiabloDj1

Ok thanks..
I'll try booting in safe mode later on.
and I doubt its a virus. Nothing was wrong with my HD before I moved it.

Thanks John..

EDIT: ok I just tryed it, and no go in safemode

Sounds like you are trying to put an older hard drive into a new machine?? If so, you will have to try a repair installation or get a new hard drive and install XP on it. Either way you are going to need windows XP disc. I'd suggest the new hard drive with a fresh install of XP with your older hd as slave. At least that way you would not lose documents, files etc. If your machine has a Win CD Key on the case, you can borrow a friends disk and reload, just use your key # when it asks for it. Any Reputable shop gives you your copy of XP when you buy your machine.

DiabloDj1

Well this is a very bad shop then xP...well really..he still sells machines with k8n mobo's which are really old..
but anyway...I am lookin for someone with an installation disc. I may get a new HD hopefully..

btw, is it illegal to download windows from a torrent or something like that if you use your own cd-key?...I cant do this anyway but i was j.w...

any guide on how to set one as a slave? or is it just in a different slot or..i dont get it o_O

I also thought of getting just Linux for now, since its open-source/free i believe unless I was told wrong..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online