1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows wont load

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jamesmosteller, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamesmosteller

jamesmosteller Thread Starter

Says my explorer.exe is linked to a missing export ShregCe yada yada. Then it tells me to reinstall windows and lets me know its SAFE to to turn off my computer! My hard drive is compressed , I cant access cd drive so here is the question. Now what?

2. kknla

kknla

Have you made any changes to your computer in the previous days to this? What OS are you running?

3. $teve

$teve

i think you should re-install windows...........just kidding:)
    post your specs operating system and as much info as you can about what you were doing prior to the problem.
    and a man in a white overall will be with you presently;)

4. jamesmosteller

lets not look for blame. I was reinstalling win95 and NOT replacing files that were older than I already had. 'bout half way through I pushed "Ok, replace em all" (yes to all button instead of keeping what I had.) So in-other-words, Iknow what caused it, me, but cant fix it. Is there a way to reformat ,delete it all, or somehow start over.

5. kknla

kknla

Can you get to a dos prompt?

6. jamesmosteller

yes, I can get a dos prompt.

7. kknla

kknla

In a private msg, jamesmosteller told me he could get to a dos prompt.

At the c:\ prompt:
    type:
    format c
    enter a volume lable if you like (up to 11 char.)
    You will need a WIN95 boot disk to start you computer w/ cd rom support, if you are going to reinstall from a cd. You can get one, if you dont have one from http://www.bootdisk.com
    Keep in mind that any information on this hard drive will be erased and you will lose everything. You will have to reinstall all software you were using.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice