1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows won't recognize external drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jporter313, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jporter313

jporter313 Thread Starter

I have an external HD, it works fine for me at home, but won't show up in windows on either of the computers I tried it on at work. The drive is an Acom Data, the computer at home is Windows XP Pro SP2, computers at work are Win XP Pro SP2 and Win 2K. I am hooking the drive up through a firewire 400 connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Perhaps the computers at work need a specific firewire driver to work with your device.
    Do you know if the firewire connections on the computers at work - work?

3. RedHelix

RedHelix

In some offices I've done IT at, we disabled firewire and USB devices in device manager and locked up the settings page via Windows Shared Computer. Ask your admin.

4. jporter313

jporter313 Thread Starter

Yeah, we use several firewire drives at work and this one is actually borrowed from work. It was fine until I took it home and used it for a while, then just stopped working on the work computers.

The weird thing is I got it to work on one of the work computers yesterday. It was all hooked up and I moved it and all of a sudden it showed up, but then I disconnected it to bring it home and tried it again today, no luck. I would think this was due to a faulty cable, but it works fine every time at home.

I'm stumped.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice