1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows wont remember folder view settings?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by ohheck, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ohheck

ohheck Thread Starter

this use to happen to me often- i'd set folders to the views i wanted then when i reopened them the settings were not saved - especially with control panel

open regedit and go to :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

Right-click on each one and select Delete (the BagMRU and Bags subfolders, NOT the shellnoroam folder).
    Set your folders to the views you want and reboot.

!!! ---> create a windows restore point before you do this just in case something goes fubar !!!

2. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered

Which operating system are you using, ohheck? I have no subfolders of any name in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\

Just curious.

3. ohheck

ohheck Thread Starter

winxp -
    maybe it's dif for ME - ?

dunt know a trick for ME--- :confused:

4. Deke40

Deke40

Here is another way in XP. I also have these settings on my W98SE.

Fix Folder View Memory Loss

Windows XP forgets my folder view settings. Is there a fix?

How to fix this annoying problem:

By default, Windows XP will remember the view settings for the 400 most recently used folders. After that, XP will begin overwriting the data of the oldest folder, and its view setting will be lost. The information is stored in the registry by two keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

These keys can be modified to make XP remember more folder settings.

Open Windows Explorer and go to Tools--Folder Options--View--Advanced Settings. Ensure that "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked.

Open Regedit and go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell. Right-click on "Shell", then follow to New--Key--DWORD Value. Name this item "BagMRU Size" (without quotation marks, but with a space between BagMRU and Size). Double-click BagMRU Size, give it a Decimal value of 2000, then click OK.

Now go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam. Create another BagMRU Size DWORD Value for "ShellNoRoam". Again, give it a Decimal value of 2000, then click OK.

You will have two "BagMRU Size" values equal to 0x000007d0 (2000).

Close the registry and reboot.
    Windows XP will now remember 2000 folder view settings instead of 400

You could also try higher values if you are a power user, I use 8000 instead of 2000.

Always remember to back up your registry. You should only consider editing the registry if you are comfortable with it.

5. DiMono

DiMono

My problem is that when I create new folders, it's always the wrong view setting even though I've clicked the "Apply these settings to all folders" button. Can you change the default?

6. ohheck

ohheck Thread Starter

did you try deleting the registry entry first and then setting the folders to how you want them?

7. bigbuck

bigbuck

Tweak UI (MSOFT powertoy) lets you change this 400 limit up into the thousands.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice