windows won't start! please help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sunizup

I tried to start my computer and I suddenly received the following message:

"Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt: WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEMced startup options for Windows,
press F8."

I'm not sure how to fix this problem. I have tried to press F8 --but nothing
happens.

I'm afraid a virus has destroyed the data on my hard drive.

Please help! Thank you... :confused:

Ok, don't panic. I can't help you repair this, as I've never had to do it, but as far as I remember, all is NOT lost. And this is almost certainly not a problem from a virus.

The windows 'System' file has been corrupted, which can happen for quite a few reasons, either software or hardware. DON'T DO ANYTHING else until somone with the knowledge comes to tell you how to replace that file from safe mode or dos, which I believe can be done.

Scorp.

awalker0878

Removed by request
first boot you computer hit f8 after post quickly. Try "Last Known Good Configuration."

sunizup

I tried hitting f8 and Last Known Good... as well as Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt etc... but I always come back to the same message:
Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
Winnt/system32/config/system...

I have also tried using an Emergency Boot Disk --but it also doesn't work...

Please help --I'm not sure what else to try?... Is there someway to access
the Recovery Console -- or at least get to the dos prompt screen?

Thank you for your help,
Nancy

If you have a Windows XP CD the recovery console is available through it. If not, it's possible to create a bootable CD which will load it.

The directions for using the Recovery Console to fix this problem are contained in this document:

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62075

You must follow completely all 3 parts!

To create a bootable CD with the Recovery Console, you will need burning software that supports .iso files.

Then just follow Elvandil's directions here:

http://forums.techguy.org:80/t395729&highlight=recovery+console.html

Most commercial burning sofware will do the job if you just place a writable CD in the drive and double click the .iso file.

Then to boot with it you must either have the CD drive set first in the Boot Order or select the boot drive in some cases from the F12 boot menu. On Dell systems you may need to use the DVD drive for the bootable CD.

sunizup

I tried creating 2 different bootable CD's... and getting to the Recovery Console... Each time I re-booted, my computer CDrom drive made a noise which sounded as though it was
trying to read the CDrom --but then the same screen appeared --with the error message...

I can't seem to get to the Recovery Console --even with these bootable CD's... Could
this problem be affecting my Cdrom drive? I tried hitting F12 to check the boot menu --
but nothing happened... The only other screen I can get to is the Safe Mode screen
when I hit F8 --but I've tried every option on that screen --and it still brings me back
to the same error message...

My system has Windows 2000 --btw --does that make a difference? I've been following
the directions for Windows XP --seems like the same problem has been happening...

Starting to feel desperate at this point ... *.*

You are going to need to access the BIOS setup screen to change the boot order to make the CD-ROM first.

Watch the first data you see displayed on the screen when the system tries to boot. It will tell you what key to press to enter "Setup". This is BIOS setup.

Once there look for the configuration menu that establishes the boot order. Arrow keys are generally used to select an item to change. Look at the help data on the screen to tell you which key to press to toggle the item order so that CD-ROM appears first. This is often the +/- keys or pg up/dn.

Once you have made the correct selection then you need to exit the setup screen with the option to "Save" the changes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online