1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows won't start, repair reinstall won't work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by yoshinyapapa, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yoshinyapapa

yoshinyapapa Thread Starter

When I turn on my computer, I get the following message:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
    Normally..."

When I start normally or with last known configuration, it goes to the Windows XP loading screen (black screen that just says Windows XP and has a bar for loading) and stays there forever. When I start in safe mode, the screen shows some writing about partitioning files for a while and then just stops and stays at this screen forever.

I have seen people on various forums with whose computers give them the same message, though the results of their choosing safe mode or normal are different (but also unsuccessful in starting the computer). The advice given to them was to repair reinstall Windows XP.

So I tried that, I booted from the Windows XP CD and I chose repair reinstall. The bottom of the screen said a few things, then said examining startup environment and remained there forever.

Was it the right choice for me to repair reinstall Windows XP? If it was, what can I do about my current problem?

2. reh2k

reh2k

When you boot to safe mode, what file does it get stuck on loading? When selecting safe mode it should bring up a list of files that it is currently processing and it should stop on the file which is causing the problem?

Also, have you made any hardware changes lately? If so, what where they?

How old is your machine? what is the spec please?

3. tony007

tony007 Banned

Well if it was me I would reformatt using the windows xp cd and then reinstall the operating system but the problem does not end there you will have to reinstall all non microsoft drivers in my case I have a cd with them on, here will tell you how to reformat http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/reformat.htm

4. reh2k

reh2k

Wow... i dont think there is any need to reformat just yet. Lets try resolving the problem with his current setup first.

5. spudmister

spudmister

Try running chkdsk to make sure the HD is not going bad

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

7. reh2k

reh2k

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's easier to test the memory by removing one stick at a time, but that can only happen if the sticks are big enough for the machine to run with each removed.

9. yoshinyapapa

...multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\KSecDD.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\NDIS.sys
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys
    This is where it gets stuck (and I've waited here for a long time).

I hadn't made any changes, but I did have some spyware and removal programs including avg free edition and tea timer. I don't know if this matters, but 1/3 of the files when booting to safe mode say system32\DRIVERS while most say System32\Drivers.

The computer is from 2006 and it is a dell xps 400 with xp media center

10. yoshinyapapa

11. reh2k

reh2k

Well i dont think its hardware related. Everywhere i searched seems to indicate a completely corrupt install of XP.

Are you able to boot to recovery console and copy the mup.sys over from the windows CD?

If you are, let us know how that goes, otherwise i fear the only last thing to do would actually be to reformat and reinstall. :(

12. yoshinyapapa

Here's an interesting development. Initially, I couldn't get to recovery console or repair reinstall because both would get stuck at examining startup environment. However, today, it didn't get stuck when I went to recovery console, but it did get stuck at 25% when I chose chkdsk. So I restarted the computer and went to recovery console again, but it got stuck at the black screen of recovery console without allowing me to type. (It never said C:\\ with a cursor there) So I restarted the computer again and now I'm back to the computer getting stuck at examining startup environment again.

13. reh2k

reh2k

Sounds like its got itself in a bit of a muddle to be hoenst.

I hate to say it, but a format might be in order :(

14. tony007

tony007 Banned

lol told you so.

15. reh2k

reh2k

:p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/681963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice