1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows won't start up on XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ILoveLoPoR, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ILoveLoPoR

ILoveLoPoR Thread Starter

Ever since last night... windows has not been able to start up.... it keeps restarting itself after clicking start windows in any mode including safe mode and my last working preferences...

eventually, i rebooted enough times it got to the blue screen where it saids windows prevent starting due to a file called ACIS.sys... im not sure about the file name but it is a .sys file... it recommended to press F8 and use other safe modes to disable driver but i can't even enter my comp in any mode... its a pain! it keeps looping... restarting and loading... is there any way to solve this problem... is it some kind of virus? or if i can use BIOS to format C: how do i do it...

thx alot for your help... greatly appreciated

2. bobol

bobol

is there a sequence of beeps you hear upon bootup, if so what kind? And you say you can get to BIOS screen ok? could ACIS be an art program you have?

3. ILoveLoPoR

ILoveLoPoR Thread Starter

neah there is no beeping... but the normal one... i really don't know whats wrong... could it be a worm? im really really lost... like nothing works...

4. bobol

bobol

still early in the game, don't worry... someone here will lead you in right direction sooner than later I'm sure....is ACIS an art proggie you had maybe?

5. bobol

bobol

we'll see if a more 'knowing' person here will recommend using your xp cd-rom to run repair recovery/ recovery console to use the repair feature, or fixboot command.... Lets wait a little bit, since I know the methods but not sure if to use that yet.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are unable to start in either safe mode or normal mode, I would do a repair install of xp. Boot with your xp cd [cd set as first boot device] from the first menu choose install NOT repair. The next menu shows your previous xp install and gives you the option to repair it. Let setup repair xp for you.

After a repair install, you will need to reapply all updates, sp2, and any patches.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I should have added a repair install leaves all data, and installed programs intact. It is the system files you are rewriting.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice