1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows won't start up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JiselleRr, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JiselleRr

JiselleRr Thread Starter

Okay, I just bought a networking system for my high speed internet, but before installing the network adapter, I had to upgrade win95 to win98. Once that was done, the computer was working fine.
    I also installed an IOMEGA zip external zip drive but worked fine also.
    My problem came when I started installing the software for the network adapter. The product said to install the software before plugging in the adapter itself. Once half the installation was complete it would ask to plug it in. So I did. After that it did the plug and play thing and to complete the installation I had to put in the win98 second edition cd. When I put in the driver the computer froze completely. So I turned off the computer and ever since then the computer starts up but doesn't get past the safe mode screen and when it does it freezes. What is going on? Can you help me please. Right now I'm on my computer. The problem is on my dad's computer. So please feel free to IM with AIM...tazy7 is my screen name or yahoo mess. at JisR1027. Please I need help today?

Jiselle

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there JiselleRr...

Can you power down the pc remove the NIC, and see if it will load the OS ?

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Recieved pm from poster...

Well it usb powered, but i did take it off, but nothing happens still..

What you can try is to Boot the pc in MS DOS mode ( when booting the pc hold down the Ctrl key untill you get the menu ), then @ the prompt type in scanreg /restore, and restore it to before you tried to install the adapter...

Please reply back to this post with what you find :)

4. JiselleRr

JiselleRr Thread Starter

Okay the computer finally didn't freeze, but it is in safe mode. Everytime I restart it goes back to safe mode.

but let me try the msdos thing

5. JiselleRr

JiselleRr Thread Starter

Okay I did the scanreg/restore on ms-dos mode and it worked. Can you help to figure out how to install the adapter without the computer freezing on me?

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Great...one problem down one to go...

The ZIP drive, is it USB also ?

If so try powering down the pc, and unplug the ZIP drive then power back up, and try installing the adapter again, if that works, power down the pc and re-connect the ZIP drive ...

7. JiselleRr

JiselleRr Thread Starter

the zip is parallel port

8. Del

Del

If it's a USB adapter or modem, try installing the drivers but when it asks you to plug it in, shutdown the computer and while the power is off, plug it in. Then turn it on and it should say new hardware found and install the software for it.
    Then it will want to reboot again.
    See if this helps

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

What is the name brand of the adapter ?

And what you can try is go into the BIOS, and disable Dos Legacy Support for USB, then re-install the adapter...

10. JiselleRr

JiselleRr Thread Starter

It is a Belkin Wireless USB Network Adapter.

How do you do that BIOS thing?

I will try to plug in when shutdown and see what happens

11. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Try Del's suggestion first...

If that doesn't work, then we will go into the BIOS/or try the latest driver...

12. JiselleRr

JiselleRr Thread Starter

okay i did that..i installed the software and when it asked me to plug it in i shut down and plugged it in then. when i restarted it found the new hardware and finished installing it. my question now is what is installed the hardware or the software? because i tried to open it but all i got was a belkin network manager.

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

My friend...I think that you are there, try hooking it up to the network or internet and see if there is a connection...

14. JiselleRr

JiselleRr Thread Starter

ok i will try but i'll be back because i have to install the router on this computer.

15. JiselleRr

JiselleRr Thread Starter

I tried to hook up the router, but when I do the setup, it says that it can't find the hardware.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice