1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows wont start

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by HelplesDummy, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HelplesDummy

HelplesDummy Thread Starter

Hello,

I need some help I am desperate!!!!!
    My windows ME does not want to boot up to Windows, it gets as far as scandisk and after it finnishes scaning it start over again. I went on the web and read some articles on it and someone called it a "Mobius Loop" Before Scandisk pops up there is a message that states -- Windows did not load the registry there is not enough memory to load.-- there is actually a lot more that the message says but thats the jist of it. I am affraid that I got some kind of a virus I tried doing a System Restore out of Safe Mode and that didn't work it said "This program could not help me, try doing System Restore out of MS-Dos"

I also tried to make a bootdisk out of safe mode so i can restart my comp into dos mode. I went to cd\windows\options\cabs and ran the setup.exe file I was told that would reinstall Windows. IT started to scan the disk for errors and found a whole bunch of errors in the c:\Dir00001 folder and prompted me to choose on fixing them. I did this last night and was kind of tired so I didn't get through all of them there was about 200 files in the directory so I was going to continue that tonight. This leads me to beleive that I got so0me kind of a virus because there were so many corrupt files in that directory. I dont even know if I am doing the right thing, I am just trying to get it resolved I am really frustrated cause I dont really know what I am doing.

Last time I had a major problem like this I had to reload everything but because I switched my motherboard and the chip the system restore disks wont work for me So i am stuck. PLEASE HELP I SUCK AT THIS BAD.
    :eek: :confused:

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

HelplesDummy
    Welcome to TSG!
    First off if you are achieving safemode then it is unlikely you have a catastrophic virus event occurring. We cannot rule that out though but at this time it is more than likely something other than that.

Try this first. Enter Safemode and go to start\run and type in msconfig then enter. Go to the startup tab and uncheck everything except Scanregistry, and systray. Click apply then ok and restart system into normal mode. Does your system achieve normal mode?

Dave

3. HelplesDummy

Thanx Davey,

I am at work right now I am going to do that when i get home.
    I went to msconfig last night I checked normal loadup and it was the same thing, i ll do exactly as you say see if that works.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Will wait your results.

Dave

5. HelplesDummy

Hey Davey,

Ok I am here at my home computer and the graphics are sooo big on the screen I have to step back to read this as I am typing. Basically I did what you said and it was the same problem again the windows wouldn't load. I called a buddy of mine and he said to reload the drivers that came with my new mother board. (By the way I have a new motherboard and chip but i didnt mention it cause it was working fine for 3 weeks before this happened so i figured it was irrelevant)

So I reloaded the drivers and now I am not in the safe mode anymore but on a different mode windows recovery or something like that. It looks like the Safe Mode but its not, I can do more in here. Anyways I am not sure if I may have to reload my windows unless you have some better ideas. If thats the only other alterative I need to know how to do that. SOmeone mentioned I can do that of the existing Disk. I dont have Windows CD so I would ahve to buy it if I need to. My recovery CD wont work for this setup becuase I changed the chip and mother board. Thanx a lot for the help. I hope I can get this stupid thing working I dont want to be left with a dumb looking paperweight.

6. Del

Del

If your graphics are really out of sight, you need to reinstall you video adapter.

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

HelplesDummy
    Yes replacing the Motherboard would of been nice to know. Now lets proceed with finding out what system you have\had and what motherboard processor did you install? Need make amd model of both, system and motherboard. Also are there any other modifications to this system?

When we get the information one item we will want to run is the Hard drive diagnostics from the manufacturer.

Dave

8. HelplesDummy

Ok Davey I reinstalled the drivers that came with the Soyo 400 Dragon Ultra I have a 1.73 gig amd athlon processor. ONe driver I c in the device manager has a exclemation mark next to it and I think thats the one that giving me the display problem.

When I try to update the driver in the device manager it says:

Windows could not load the driver for this device becuase the computer is reporting two ISAPNP.VXD bus types

I imagine this is some bios issue and that to is over my head. I dont know much info on my hard drive though other then it came from a 500 presario its either a maxtor or western digital. This is so far the only hangup I am having. Once I get that working then hopefully I can go back and fix some errors I am having with the Windows.

Thanx Davey

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

Helplesdummy

Your board appears to have a VIA chipset which usually requires a 4 and 1 chipset update. This could be causing the problems you are encountering. Go Here which is a good starting point and review for the proper chipset download for your unit which I believe is Here

Seems this company is rather comprehensive in thier support so their Tech support may also be of help to loading the proper Drivers and possibly Bios updates if required.

Keep us posted to your progress.

Dave

10. HelplesDummy

Davey
    I am having the same problem Thanx for letting me know where to go exactly. I actually went to the soyo web site last night but couldnt really find anything to help me there. Even after i downloaded th updated drivers and ran them it still didnt work, and in the Device manager I am still left with a Exclemation mark and the message reads:

Windows could not load the driver for this device because the computer is reporting two ISAPNP.VXD bus types. (Code 2)

I have no idea what that means but I think thats the big hurdle.
    Again thanx Dav for all the help. At least now I can use my computer and its not that stupid looping boot. But my computer looks like a 486dx 50 at this point

11. Davey7549

Davey7549

HelplesDummy
    Glad the site was of help. Ultimatly you may have to contact them if a bios update is required. The is one other item we could try and that is removing Ghost devices listed in SafeMode.
    Restart system in Safemode and go to device manager. Remove devices listed double or greater and restart system.

Also try Del's suggestion of Reinstalling the Video Adapter.

Dave

12. IMM

IMM

Was reading http://forums.techguy.org/t117306/s0f2131ff3bd175c1f0260cc75dbc6aab.html and as it's late and Dave is probably asleep - I'll suggest this.

Boot to SAFE mode. In Device Manager under the System Devices - do you show more than one PCI to ISA Bridge ??

If so, one thing you can try is removing the bridge(s) and running the the Add New Hardware wizard from Control Panel.

13. HelplesDummy

hehe ok I ll try that. I just want to say I appreciate the help dave and everyone else. I was just getting frustrated with this damn thing. I use my computer a lot for school, work and other things and I find my self sitting in front of it every day after school and work and wasting a lot of time. My wife and my daghter are missing out on me not that I am that fun but still. I appreciate the help I ll try it and post back I usually get home around 5 pst so I ll try to post right away. thanx davey.

14. HelplesDummy

Ok guys,

I tried doing the safe mode deeleeoo.... Basically I got so mad last night with this stupid thing I went to Frys Electronics and bought the Full version of XP, I am going to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows. I ve had Windows Me for about 2 years and truthfully I never liked it it has so many conflicts with just about every program I put on it. I ve heard good things about XP although I am not getting excited becuase its a Microsoft product and they all seem to have flaws.

Thanx a lot for all your help we tried to fix it but the tech guy at frys said the best thing to do is reformat cause I am using a hard drive that came from antoerh system and there is bound to be conflicts. I agree so I copied all my files to another hard drive so i can transfer some of it later on. Do u guys hae any suggestions in getting the hard drive rdy before I start the new installation. I dont think I ever reformatted a hard drive. Don't even know where to start. Anyways thanx guys for everything.;)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice