1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows won't start!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ferrari804, Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ferrari804

Ferrari804 Thread Starter

I was screwing with a game that ran in dos, and i hit something that made the computer restart, but the game changed the startup settings somehow because whenever it gets to the windows loading screen, the screen turns black and it tells me to press any button. When i do that the machine starts to reboot again. By hitting F8, i can get into windows in safe mode, but i can't get in any other way that i know of. Someone please help!!!!!

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

TRy this. Boot to Safe Mode. GO to Msconfig and choose selective startup . Disalbe Process Config.sys and autoexec.bat
    REstart Windows. Do you get in? If so. what was in those files?

3. Ferrari804

Yes, it worked. I don't really know what you mean by what's in those files. In msconfig there's a tab for each of those, and in the config.sys tab theres a list of things with boxes that are now unchecked:

[common]
    dos=high,umb
    device=c:\windows\himen.sys/testmem:eek:ff
    device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
    device=c:\cdrom\oakcdrom.sys/d:idecd000

and in autoexec.bat they are:

@echo off
    c:\progra~1\networ~1\mcafee~1\scan.exe c:\
    @if errorlevel 1 pause
    path c:\windows ; c:\windows\command
    call c:\dosboot\drive.bat
    @set classpath=c:\progra~1\canon\photod~1\adobec~1

4. Ferrari804

can you finish helping me with my problem please? i answered your question

Hang in there and don't start a separate thread, when a reply will do...

I will merge this with the other.

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

What I meant was if you can start now after not loading those two files, and you could not start when they were loading, there must be something in one or both of those files causing a problem.

I would love to help you. Leave them unchecked. You don't need them unless you are loading something special.
    in autoexec.bat I have drivers.bat not drive.bat in this line:
    call c:\dosboot\drive.bat

I see you are running
    Mcafee in autoexec.bat. That is not necessary to run at each boot either. It wouldn't cause your problem, but it slows the boot. Just remember to occasionally scan.

Do you have an HP? If so, have a look for drivers.bat

Change that line and see if it will boot with it enabled. Otherwise, wait for someone else to jump in. I don't really see anything else to cause a problem.

6. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Try this:
    Go back to MSCONFIG and recheck the Config.sys only and reboot to see if it works. If not, you will know it is an entry in the config.sys file. If it does boot, you know it in not the Config.sys file causing the problem.
    Next boot up and go to Start>Programs>MS DOS prompt. You should be in a DOS window at C:\Windows. Type in CD..(thats dot dot) and enter. That should put you back at C:\ where you type EDIT autoexec.bat to open that file. In the window that opens you should see the information you posted about that file. Cursor down to the line "call c:\dosboot\drive.bat " and at the start of that line type in REM and leave a space between it and the call c:\dosboot\drive.bat line. Now go to File>Save and File Exit which puts you back at C: where you type EXIT which closes the Dos window. Reboot and if it does, it was that line. If not, you can alway go back in safe mode and uncheck autoexec.bat or try Rem in front of the other lines. This will work for Config.sys if necessary, but the line in Autoexec.bat to CALL Dossboot is most likely the problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice