1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows wont update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xxkhbxx, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxkhbxx

xxkhbxx Thread Starter

hello all, i asked this question before and no one answered me. but here goes.. i tried to update my friends xp home edition and it wont update it just cycles threw "checking for updates" then it says "update now" so i click the button and it keeps on doing that over and over again. help... scanned with spybot and adawre also

2. Cookies

Cookies

Assuming your friend has a registered copy of xp home, log in as the administrator and check for updates; reboot if prompted.

Should that fail, log in as the administrator and try this link for updates: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

3. xxkhbxx

xxkhbxx Thread Starter

yes its a real version of xp... it came with her new compaq. and is signed on as administrator

4. obi wan

obi wan

5. rude

rude

Are you logging on as administrator or a user with administrative access,there is a difference.

To Log in as Administrator:

If you want to log in as Administrator, but it is not shown on the Welcome screen,

Hold the Ctrl-Alt key and press Del twice.
    This will bring up the normal login and you can log on as Administrator

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To unhide the Administrator account so it does show up:

Start Regedit
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \ SpecialAccounts \ UserList
    Unhide the Administrator key by giving it a value of 1

You could also try safemode

Also,when you get to the option to update say no,you can update later.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice