1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows wont work after updates

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by SJ_Nico, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SJ_Nico

SJ_Nico Thread Starter

Please help! Two days ago after windows updates,my old pc(XP) and my laptop(vista) wouldnt load windows when I turned them on. the microsoft load screen came up and then the screen just went black instead of windows coming on. The only way I could get it to work is by restarting it and going into safe mode like I am at the moment. I went to check my netbook(XP) and that was working but asked me to install windows updates and restart so i did and now thats the same! So I have three comps I cant use. The only connecting factors are the windows updates and that they all run McAfee. Now the laptop I did do a system restore which i took back 3 weeks and it worked but then McAfee said it had updated and needed to restart...then my problems start again. Im at a loss as to whether its McAfee or Windows updates. I dont know what to do. Even the start up repair didnt fix it but when i looked at the log it said something to with an unknown change in configuration could be causing it but I haven't changed anything.

2. razorwing

razorwing Banned

Can you try the restore point again then disable mcafee??
    Also do you have your xp cd and vista cd cause you can perform repair installs on both here are the links explaining how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/151606-vista-sp1-slipstream-installation-dvd.html

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

The reason I suggested a repair install is because it removes all updates.

If not we can start here:
    Download ccleaner here: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Open ccleaner Hit>Tools>startup>Copy to text file,then copy and paste what it finds in your next reply to me.

3. SJ_Nico

SJ_Nico Thread Starter

I did a restore and took it back to 2 weeks ago,it worked,then I disabled McAfee and restarted my comp, windows still worked. I dont have any discs because my comps didnt come with any. My netbook did but it doesnt have a disc drive to use them in anyway. These are the results you told me to copy and paste. Only it looks like McAfee isnt disabled?

Yes HKCU:Run Sidebar C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    Yes HKCU:Run LightScribe Control Panel C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden
    Yes HKCU:Run ehTray.exe C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
    Yes HKCU:Run Messenger (Yahoo!) "C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
    Yes HKCU:Run Google Update "C:\Users\sjs beauty\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    Yes HKCU:Run TomTomHOME.exe "C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMERunner.exe"
    Yes HKCU:Run Aim "C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe" /d locale=en-US
    Yes HKCU:Run WMPNSCFG C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run SynTPEnh C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run UCam_Menu "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam" update "Software\CyberLink\YouCam\2.0"
    Yes HKLM:Run QPService "C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run Windows Defender %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    Yes HKLM:Run QlbCtrl.exe C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
    Yes HKLM:Run hpWirelessAssistant C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Photo Downloader "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\apdproxy.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run HP Health Check Scheduler c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run Hiyo C:\Program Files\HiYo\bin\HiYo.exe /RunFromStartup
    Yes HKLM:Run Microsoft Default Manager "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Default Manager\DefMgr.exe" -resume
    Yes HKLM:Run SearchSettings "C:\Program Files\YouTube Downloader Toolbar\SearchSettings.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run IgfxTray C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run HotKeysCmds C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run Persistence C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run HP Software Update C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run QuickTime Task "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    No HKLM:Run mcui_exe "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe" /runkey
    No Startup Common McAfee Online Backup Status.lnk C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE~1\MOBKstat.exe
    No Startup Common Philips GoGear Spark Device Manager.lnk C:\PROGRA~1\Philips\GOGEAR~1\main.exe

4. razorwing

razorwing Banned

Disable all but these entries!!

Yes HKLM:Run SynTPEnh C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run hpWirelessAssistant C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe

If You want we can uninstall mcafee if this seems to be the problem!
    http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=1537&file=15&evp=255aefef054caa9a4c2603654ad7f560

If this doesnt fix the problem you can always reinstall mcafee whenever you wish.

Here is a link to a couple good free antivirus and these dont use as much resources as mcafee.

When you have uninstalled Mcafee install one of these immediately i reccommend avast.

5. SJ_Nico

SJ_Nico Thread Starter

I disabled all those you said and uninstalled McAfee. It totally messed up all 3 computers and when I needed their help they had me remove another program they said was conflicting and it should be fine then, which it wasnt. I've installed the anti-virus you recommended. Will i be able to do the same with my other 2 comps even though theyre on XP and not Vista?

6. razorwing

razorwing Banned

Not sure but you can always give it a shot.Cant hurt to try.And judging by the amount of startup programs you had going Im assuming a lack of basic maintienence so If I were you I would post a High Jasck this Log so a member with a gold shield next to their name can determine whether or not you have a malware infection.

7. SJ_Nico

SJ_Nico Thread Starter

I have done it with the netbook and that seems to be okay too now so there's just one left. I noticed there was a lot as well, especially compared to only the half that I was aware of. I am running a malware removal program at the moment but I will certainly do that if I get no joy there, Thanks for advising and getting things working again....much appreciated!

8. razorwing

razorwing Banned

9. SJ_Nico

SJ_Nico Thread Starter

Okay, I'll do that right now and cheers for all the assistance you've given. Its been a great help!

10. razorwing

razorwing Banned

After you have installed malwarebytes ans super AS And rebooted a couple of times make sure you disable them from starting up as SAS will for sure not to sure bout malwarebytes but its good not to have items sarting that are not used on a daily basis.These both are better to manualy start unless you have the paid versions

11. SJ_Nico

SJ_Nico Thread Starter

Okay I will do. I will run them like you say and then change them to manually start if need be. Thankyou ;)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1016039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice