Windows x/p black screen with options

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GLYNNROY

I have a major problem with my windows x/p edition on my computer. The other day I had to turn the computer off at the wall as it froze up on me and there was no response to all my actions that I tried; now this has resulted in a black screen when I turn the computer on with the following steps that I can follow.

1. Start up in safe mode
2. Start up in safe mode with command prompts
3, Start windows normally

I have tried all the above action but it doesn’t lead me anywhere, it just thinks for a while and returns to the black page with the 3 options above.

I have some very sensitive documents s on my commuter that I have to get off before I loose every thing. Can anyone tell me how I might be able to do this, I was hoping to get into safe mode or command prompts to be able to do a disc check but this has left me very discontented

Please help me.:(

At this stage, if the documents are that sensitive or critical, you should remove the hard drive and slave it to another XP PC (changing the jumpers as required) or connect it via a USB enclosure to another PC.

Then you will need to take ownership of the folders and files following this process.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
You main risk is that persevering with it as is could destroy the chances of getting the files.
Slaving it to another PC will hopefully allow the safe retrieval of the files.

GLYNNROY

Is this the only way as I would`nt know where to start mate to be honest with taking the hard drive out.

Have I got any other options.(y)

You could try Last Known Good Configuration. I don't think it will work, but you can try.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online