1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows xp account documents and settings folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Deathscythe_Hell, Dec 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deathscythe_Hell

Deathscythe_Hell Thread Starter

A while ago i was having severe problems with windows xp, so I did a repair installation(i think). Whatever it was, it essentially deleted the winxp system files and reinstalled it. I created my user account using the same name as last time, but ran into a problem: because windows detected a folder with that username on it already, it created a new one with the format of username.computername. This is created numerous problems, including but not limited to me not being able to upload things via ftp from my my documents folder because the directory path gives the ftp programs a heart attack. Does anyone know how i could change what directory windows looks at for my files?

2. Akito

Akito

To change the path to my documents:

just right click on the my documents folder, the path is listed as an option..

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

This works with Windows 2000 and the IE Favorites folder and I am reasonably sure it will work for the My Documents folder in XP as well.

Open My Computer, size it down to less that one-third the width of your monitor's screen and drag it to the far right of your screen. Navigate the where the My Documents folder is; but, do not actually open My Documents. Open another copy of My Computer. Navigate in it to where you want My Documents to be instead of where it already is. Size that window down and drag it to the center of the screen.

Now, right-drag the My Documents folder from where it is in one window to where you want it to be in the other. Drop it there and choose Move (instead of Copy or Create Shortcut) when prompted. Close both windows by clicking File> Close. Now, test your setup by clicking on your My Documents folder or, in XP, by doing it from your Start menu.

If it doesn't work, just undo it by working the above instructions in reverse. But, I'm reasonably sure it will work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/185846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice