Windows XP Activation key not working...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KeeLorz

I may have a sort of a unique question to ask here:

I just installed Windows XP Pro on my new custom built computer, but the installation CD was not mine to begin with, but I do have an upgrade CD to Windows XP Pro that I thought I could use the activation code with, which eventually found out that It would not allow me to put the activation product key from my upgrade CD for the installation CD that I started with.
Would anyone know the way around this problem? I certainly would not like to buy a new installation CD and start my OS again clean. I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

Simplest way is to start over and install the O/S with the key that it came with . . the key for an upgrade version is not the same as for a full install . .

KeeLorz

thank you for the reply. But the key that it came with is being used by another person , which is why I cannot use it. I basically used his CD to try to install and use my upgrades cd key to activate it.. hoping it would work.

You cannot use any key that is already in use on a PC, and as above you have to use a key that matches the exact version of the Windows CD (e.g. an upgrade key will not work on a full install CD or vice versa).

If your "upgrade CD" has never been loaded onto a PC that is still operating, you will need to use it in a clean install (for which you will need a "qualifying version" CD of Windows to "upgrade" from.

Its unclear from your post if the Upgrade CD is unused etc.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I suggest you buy a legal full copy of XP like you should have in the beginning. We won't help you with illegally obtained keys or activating the system with them.

KeeLorz

I am a legal consumer of a Microsoft Windows product.. I bought an upgrade awhile back and hoped to use THAT key to activate it with the CD that i used to actually install the OS with.

Well . . that's fine . . but what we are telling you is that you have to use a key that matches the installation disc . . The keys are specific to version . . Home or Pro . . and to gender . . OEM, Upgrade or Full

KeeLorz

thx for the help. guess i'll have to reinstall again and fork over another 150 bux

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online