1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp activation key

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Phil_Crane, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phil_Crane

Phil_Crane Thread Starter

i have installed windows xp off my windows disk off 1 of my computers and when i start up i cick activate windows and put my key in for the computer i have formatted and its not going through to the activation centre,

s there a way to change the license key in theregistry or something as i cant activate over the phone because it is saying the id is wrong and i know the license isnt installed on any computers because i have just bought it

so what i need to do is edit some files or keep trying to get to the activation centre

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why can't you activate by phone? There is no way, other than the automatic activation and the phone activation.

3. Phil_Crane

its saying i have used my key too many times

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

So phone M$ and speak to them.I don't see the problem here.

5. JohnWill

I went through three motherboards in a few weeks working on a system here, I activated the same key multiple times. The only issue was I had to phone in and just told them I was changing the MB due to compatibility problems with the old one. They read off the string of numbers and I was activated.

If you're using the key on more than one computer, that's not legal.

6. Phil_Crane

i format my hdd every monthy to keep it clean, i just called ms and they sorted everything for me :)

7. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Format every month ?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Seems a little ecessive but if thats what you like to do then thats fine.

I would suggest that if you doing this just to clean off junk then you may want to look into a program that makes an image of your hard drive. Something like Acronis True Image 9 or Symantec Ghost. Load up you operating system, any drivers and software that you want, activate it, and then make an image of that. Whenever you need to reload just image the system back.

9. JohnWill

I do that with every install. :) I usually only install on a MB once, the first time. Any subsequent "installs" are just a dump of that startup image.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you feel you have to format your hard drive and reinstall everything on a monthly basis, I would suggest purchasing a second computer for "testing" purposes or whatever it is you're doing that causes that much trouble.

If a second computer is not possible, then I agree with JohnWill in suggesting you create an image of your computer rather than reinstalling the OS every month.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/505670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice