1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Activation Problems & SPTD.SYS in Safe Mode Bootup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mark456, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark456

mark456 Thread Starter

Hi all,

System: Small Form Factor System (motherboard model no M7VBA)
    Windows XP (SP2 or 3)

I have ran into problems logging in and booting in safe mode with my “cube” computer and would be very greatful for some advice.

My computer was up and running one minute.. I left the room for a short while, and on returning my computer was off. When I restart it, after typing my password and pressing enter, I received a message saying “This copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can log in, do you want to activate windows now” with a YES or NO option. I should not need to activate windows since it has been activated for a long time. Anyway, when I click yes, I am taken to a black screen (also the colour of my desktop) with just a mouse curser in the centre and no sign of activity and each time i restart I am given the same activation message after entering my password.

The second symptom is when I tried to boot in safe mode (whic I haven’t done for a good few months), I noticed that it asked me I wanted to run or load SPTD.SYS? (cant remember if it was in capitals or not) but it doesn’t give me very long to respond before moving on and loading windows in safe mode anyway. All my files appear ok in safe mode. Once I was in, I tried to use a USB port to backup my data and noticed that the portable drive I plugged in was not recognised by the computer. (but was recognised by a laptop). My other USB port doesn’t work so that means apparently they are both now faulty.

Although I have found individual fixes for these each of these problems; of windows activation, and of the sptd.sys issues, but have not found anyone with the same two together.. and Im not sure if they are related. Does anyone know what might be the cause , or how I should best go about fixing this.. can anyone here see a connection between these two problems?

Maybe if my USB port has malfunctioned, then the computer may have too many altered hardware components to by deemed the same computer as windows was installed on (although it certainly is) .. and so would require activation again to prove that it is the same computer... but then again I could be infected with some kind of virus and wouldn’t want to make a mistake here..

I think for now I will power on again and test my DVD and floppy drive too...look forward to hearing your views on this guys

Thanks a lot for your time

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice