1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Activation - some keys do not work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Riceloft, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Riceloft

Riceloft Thread Starter

I just completed a repair installation on a machine, and of course, I have to reactivate windows before I can log in.

Well, I go and attempt to change the product key, and while I'm in the activation window, the following keys do not work:

E U I O A S L Z N 1 5 0

This presents a problem because I need quite a few of those to use the key that I have.

Those keys work fine on the login screen, so it isn't a keyboard issue.

I've already attempted to do the repair installation a second time. I've also tried using the character map functions (alt 0191 etc) to bring up the letters, but the same ones do not work.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Is this by chance a laptop?
    If so check your NUMs Lock key, it may be on!

3. Riceloft

Riceloft Thread Starter

Nope, desktop.

4. Riceloft

Riceloft Thread Starter

Bump for the weekend.

5. Claymore

Claymore

Have you checked your installed keyboard languages in Control Panel => Regional and Language Options => Language => Details (and also the Advanced options there)?
    And also the settings in Control Panel => Keyboard? Although normally if it is switching to another language you would get something - I'm assuming that when you press the key you get nothing. Does the keyboard work in other applications, e.g. Notepad. And does it work in Safe Mode? And, what type of keyboard are you using?

6. Riceloft

Riceloft Thread Starter

The keyboard works fine on the login screen. I can type whatever I want for username, password etc. The keyboard itself works. Just in case, I've tried a few different ones (dell, gateway, generic, etc).

I did a repair install, so before I can log in, I need to activate windows again. To do that, I have to change the product key. It is on this screen that the keys do not work.

I can't get into safe mode or the CP or anything until I activate windows.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice