1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp activation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by yuwenbon, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yuwenbon

yuwenbon Thread Starter

I had my computer cleaned up after it was infected, so I lost the Chinese language as well. I was told to reinstall windows xp in order to add Chinese back, so I did that using a CD I bought from the computer store. I followed the steps till I was asked to "activate" xp, and I did that. The screen froze after I clicked "yes". I also tried to reboot using F12, but it gave me the same message after a few steps.

2. PK-her0

PK-her0

i might be wrong...but i dont think you can get language packs for xp...xp install cd's come in Polish, Chinese etc etc...you need to get the particular language install disk for whatever language you want to install...this is in my experience, but there are some very smart people on this site who may prove me wrong...see what others say...

3. yuwenbon

yuwenbon Thread Starter

Thanks. That was what I thought because I had added Chinese before. However, this was what it said when I tried to add Chinese this time, then the computer store told me that as well. The problem is that I can not even log on windows now.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I would try the install again and hope that you just suffered a non-repeating glitch.

Did you buy a genuine Windows XP installation CD and Product Key (license) or just the CD? If the latter, is it the same version (e.g., Home, Pro) as what was on your PC? [And, in the latter case I'm assuming that you had a pre-installed XP and still have the Product Key for it.]

When you get activated: Language packs

5. yuwenbon

yuwenbon Thread Starter

Yes, I have the product key, but can't find the original CD. The CD I bought from store is from Dell. The problem is that I can't log on windows.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it is a "Dell Re-installation" it will probably only work on a Dell PC.

And that is why I said, "I would try the install again and hope that you just suffered a non-repeating glitch."

7. PK-her0

PK-her0

if you have used a dell disk...see if you can login through safe mode...by pressing f8 at start up
    if you can get into safe mode... go to start / run
    and type: control userpasswords2 ...then click on "users must enter a password to login" checkbox...then restart
    i have noticed i have to do this sometimes when i install using a dell install disk on non dell systems...

8. yuwenbon

yuwenbon Thread Starter

It is a dell computer. I can go to f2 or f12 before it gives me the message "This copy of windows must be activated with windows before you log on. Do you want to activate now?" It doesn't matter what I choose, the screen will freeze with an arrow. Then I am stuck. So, how do you get to f8?

9. yuwenbon

yuwenbon Thread Starter

Terry,

How do you install in this situation? Thanks.

10. PK-her0

PK-her0

Press f8 right as the computer starts not when its almost in windows

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Boot to the XP Installation CD. Isn't that how you did it before?

12. Crazy10

Crazy10

You could do a repair install instead!

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, but for a Repair Install you still have to "Boot the computer using the XP CD."

14. yuwenbon

yuwenbon Thread Starter

After I set up system and administrator's password, the screen says this:
    floppy diskette seek failure
    drive1 not found: serial ATA, SATA-2
    drive 3 not found: parallel ATA, PATA-1
    type the system password & press <enter>
    password:_ (blinking)

so I tried to type password, but it won't take it.

Any ideas?

15. yuwenbon

yuwenbon Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. The store sold me the wrong CD. We will abandon xp and go with linux.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1118127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice