1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows XP activation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TypeSK, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

ok, a computer was upgraded from win2k to winxp pro with a windows upgrade version ....

but now, needs to be reformated and reinstalled...

how would i go about doing this?

format, reinstall win2k, and upgrade?

also, what about re-activating it? any issues there?

2. Boo_Compaq

Boo_Compaq

Yes there will be reactivation issues, but not a big deal. You must call microsoft to obtain a new activation key. Just explain you had to reformat.

As for the installation...im not sure how that will go...better ask ms first. I havent upgraded an OS before...ive always done clean installs...so im not sure if the upgrade disk is enough to put on a full install...but check with ms anyways

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can boot from the XP CD, delete and recreate partition (s) and format using the Win XP CD . . early in the installation, it will ask you for qualifing media . . insert the win 2000 disc and once it verifys that you qualify for the upgrade, it will prompt for the XP disc and off it will go.

You will have to re-activate, but unless you have replaced a lot of hardware, it is a non event.

Have Fun! . . wrs

4. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

ok, so use the windows xp pro upgrade CD?

and then ill insert win2k disc, and it will install everything? ok, kool ... ill try that...

and re-activate wont be a problem? i have all the same hardware .... so ok ...

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

ok, so use the windows xp pro upgrade CD? - Right

and then ill insert win2k disc, and it will install everything? ok, kool ... ill try that... When it prompts you for eligiblity

and re-activate wont be a problem? i have all the same hardware .... so ok ...
    It should not be a problem . . let us know how it goes . . XP is by far the easiest O/S to install yet.

Have fun . . wrs

6. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

This will take longer to do than the activation . .

8. Bman

Bman

"and then ill insert win2k disc, and it will install everything?"

The only reason you need to insert the Win2k disc is to verify that you are eligible for the 'upgrade' version of XP. You do not need to install anything off the Win2k disc.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

good catch . . that is right! I'll edit the post to clarify

wrs

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice