windows xp activation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MROMANLPN

I installed windows xp a month ago and I activated it. Now it has locked me out, 30 days later, saying windows needs to be activated "to activate now click yes" when i click yes, the activation box comes up and says "windows has already been activated" "click ok to continue". i click ok and it logs me off. And this becomes a vicious cycle if you can see where i'm going with this. What could be causing this?j why is it asking me to activate then telling me it's already activated and not letting me log in?

Could be a disk or registry error.

Try booting into Safe Mode to an account with administrative privileges. Run regedit.

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\wpaevents

In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify. Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows. Click OK and close regedit.

Reboot and reactivate when prompted.

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

If that doesn't work, try an inplace upgrade (repair installation).

All you do is boot from the CD. When it asks if you want to repair and to press "R", don't. Continue with the installation just like you were installing for the first time.

You will then get a license agreement and it will ask you to press F8 to agree. Right after that screen, you will see a list of Windows installations that setup found. It will ask if you want to repair it. Read the directions on that page!!!

Then, you will actually press "R" this time and XP will re-install.

When done, you will be back to your familiar desktop with everything looking just like it did before. But all your Windows Updates are gone and you will need to get those again.

If you have any problems booting from CD, set the CD to boot earlier then the hard drive in BIOS setup, or come back for more help.

MROMANLPN

i get the same message about activating windows when i try to boot in safe mode. the cd i have is an upgrade therefore it will not run automatically. when i try to run the setup file from a command prompt, it says "this program can not be run in ms dos mode". any other suggestions? i can't get into windows at all

Heres a tweak you can do once you've activated:

Reinstall Windows XP without re-activating

If you were to reinstall Windows XP, you normally must re-activate it as well, even if your hardware is unchanged... luckily, there's a way around this.

First, your hardware between reinstalls must NOT change..

XP keeps the activation information in a file named "wpa.dbl", which can be found in _:\WINDOWS\System32\

After your activating Windows XP, back this file up to a floppy or some other type of media.

Now, if you ever need (or want) to reinstall Windows XP, go through the whole procedure as you normally would. Once you get into Windows itself, copy the file from your media back into _:\WINDOWS\System32\... You may need to be in safe mode to do this.

MROMANLPN

my fear is if i re-install, activate, copy the file I need just in case it asks me to activate again. Then it locks me out in 30 days even after activating, then that file is useless to me because i can't get back into windows at all.

Very unlikely to happen with a clean install of a legit XP . . and with uptodate antivirus/spyware tools

If it does . . you will be no worse off than you are now

MROMANLPN said:
i get the same message about activating windows when i try to boot in safe mode. the cd i have is an upgrade therefore it will not run automatically. when i try to run the setup file from a command prompt, it says "this program can not be run in ms dos mode". any other suggestions? i can't get into windows at all
The upgrade disks are bootable, contain the full version of XP, and will load the Recovery Console normally. A repair installation will work normally with an upgrade CD, too.

Setup.exe does not start the setup process for XP in DOS. Setup is started by executing winnt.exe in the i386 folder.

But all XP CD's, if they are legit, are bootable.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online