1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Activation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SeaTan, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SeaTan

SeaTan Thread Starter

I recently had problems with my computer, and had to replaces my hard drive and memory. I therefore had to install Windows XP again. We have a few computers at home, each of which came with an XP recovery disk. I took one of these (it could have been from another computer - I'm not sure) and installed Windows again. I now have a countdown for my 30 day activation period. My problem is I dont have an internet connection on that computer, and am unable to activate. I researched this online, and the solution seems to be to back up the files wpa.dbl and wpa.bak from my previous sytem and replace them onto the new Windows. However, I only found this out now, and have therefore lost the old files. The old hard drive is corrupt and therefore cant recover them from there. Does anyone know of another solution and can someone provide me with those 2 files? Many thanks.

2. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

can you not just move that computer to where one of the others accesses the internet and activate it that way?

3. thommy4024

thommy4024

If you can get it to a buddies house and the internet, then follow the prompts for the activation it will give you the number to MICROSOFT and explain to them how you got to this point and usually they will reactivate your windows...mabybe not...

thommy4024 !

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The files you mention are different for each hardware configuration and Windows will check them. They won't work on a different hardware configuration. Use the phone. But if the key is used, you can't activate. The trick is only useful on the same machine with nothing changed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/708605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice