1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP after a Replacement Motherboard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by randyspcresc, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randyspcresc

randyspcresc Thread Starter

Hope I don't confuse anyone with what I am trying to find out. As we know XP monitors your PC for hardware changes, and if the chipset is different you get the nice Blue Screen upon boot up and you cannot proceed. If the motherboard I am going to replace is working, I know I can go in and change the IDE driver to standard, and then change out the motherboard to whatever kind I want and it will refind the chipset, without the blue screen. But what if the motherboard is blown, or bad and I have to replace it? How can I get into windows xp to change the IDE or whatever I need to do, so that we can replace the m otherboard? BTW, I own and operate a PC Repair store, and this comes up frequently when a customer brings in a blown PC. I usually copy his data off, reload XP then bring his data back, but that means reloading all his applications. Hope this made sense and can get a answer! Surely there is a better way! Thanks

2. steve65

steve65

Hi Randy.

Have you tried to do an XP repair installation? Or, if possible, boot to safe mode and uninstall the drivers from there.

Steve

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice