1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP After April 2014: Question?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jack1000, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

I have a question,

I have an old late 2004 Dell with Windows XP (SP-3) installed, and it works fine for its age. I keep data backed up, run Windows Update on Automatic, use Avast AV 5.0 and Firefox 3.6 as my browser. I also purchased a Windows XP (SP-2) disk several years ago.

If users should need to reinstall Windows, AFTER no more auto updates for Windows XP after April of 2014, will they STILL be able to manually update Windows by going to MS. website after that time from what is known so far?

Jack

2. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

Microsoft will more than likely release a final service pack for Windows XP before they cease support for it. That's what they have done in the past with other versions of Windows.

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Microsoft has made it very clear that SP3 was the last major upgrade and that there will be no further service pack released for Windows XP.

If you need to reinstall Windows XP SP3 for some reason after April 2014, the Windows Updates site should still provide the post-SP3 high-priority updates that were released prior to that cutoff date.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/940248