1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP and Domain/Workgroup changes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by x333, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x333

x333 Thread Starter

Greetings,

Let me preface this by saying that I think I did something very stupid.

My laptop is a work laptop. It is setup to log in through a specific domain at my office. While not thinking(and trying to get some files transfered to it through my local workgroup at my private home network) I switched the computer configuration from using the office domain to use my local home workgroup.

Upon rebooting to register the change, I am no longer able to log in. I keep receiving the "The system could not log you in. Make sure your User name and domain are correct ... "

I realize this is probably something I won't be able to fix myself, but in hopes of saving some time tomorrow, is there anything I can do to remedy this situation?

Information:

-Administrator password unknown(network support at office keeps this).
    -Log on screen does not allow me to change the domain name to log in to(no field for domain name, even in the options section).

Thanks,

2. pblog

pblog

My guess is that you are logging onto your user account on your computer which means that you also need the password that was set up for your account on the computer. This is different from the network one that you use when logging in your work domain. If you can't remember or don't know the password, try leaving the password field blank - just worth a try. Otherwise, you'll probably need administrator access to change the password.
    Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/414448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice