1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Xp and Linux dual Booting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Otoha, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Otoha

Otoha Thread Starter

I am thinking of running windows xp and linux on the same hard drive. I know I load windows first, but is there a boot loader that will allow me to choose which os I want to load up at start up? :confused:

2. ben339

ben339

I have tried this before.
    Do you know which distribution of linux you want to install? From my experience, Ubuntu comes with a boot loader, and it will ask you on boot whether to load Ubuntu or Windows.

3. Otoha

Otoha Thread Starter

That is what I have, Ubuntu. I have been running it with a live cd and I kinda like it. The world of open source has been very good to me so I would like to stay with it. So it does come with a boot loader? Now will that come up and give you a choice of which OS to boot from? I have run into some that don't give you that option.

4. unbidden

unbidden

You will get the option.
    After the the ubuntu install linux will make ubuntu the first OS in the boot order. If you start your pc and walk away, ubuntu will be the chosen OS; if you sit and watch while booting, you will have the option to boot to Windows. The boot order can be altered if you want to boot to Windows by default.
    Run a Google search on 'dual booting Windows XP and ubuntu; there are many tutorials available.

Also, when you boot to Windows for the first time after the ubuntu install, don’t panic, Windows will run a disk check because the system partition size has been changed.

5. Otoha

Otoha Thread Starter

Thanks will do.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice