1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp and modem noises

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SabreWolf3, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabreWolf3

SabreWolf3 Thread Starter

Hi gurus,

I just bought an Emachines PC for my mother in-law. Yes, I know they are low-end machines, and yes, I know most everything is integrated onto the motherboard... but hey, she only needs the thing for email and using quicken. It has Windows XP Home Edition on it. I have two problems that I am assuming are related. The first is that I cannot turn the modem speaker off when it's dialing into AOL. I went into the control panel into the Phone and Modems options and I turned the modem speaker setting to "off." Yet everytime she dials out you can hear it. I had never seen this before, but all the sounds that usually come out of the modem speaker, actually come out of the system speakers. Anyone know how I can turn this off? She hates to listen to the computer "talking" to the server it's dialing into.

Then today, I happened to turn on Windows Media Player to listen to a CD while I was trying to figure out how to turn the modem speaker off. It was then that I noticed that you can't dial out and connect to AOL while there is music playing over the speakers. I'm assuming the two are somehow getting crossed and the music is interfering with the modem being able to establish a connection. That's the error you get, "the modem was unable to establish a connection." Is this because the sound card is integrated into the motherboard? Anyone got any ideas? If nothing else, I can buy a cheap modem and disable the onboard modem. Or I can buy a cheap sound card and disable the onboard sound.

Thanks for your help.

2. SabreWolf3

SabreWolf3 Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that the modem is an HSP56 MicroModem, and their tech support didn't seem very helpful. I sent them an email regarding this and they referred me back to emachines, when emachines referred me to them.

I found an AT command list on the tech support portion of pctel's website, so I think I'm going to try and turn the modem speaker off manually (screw Win XP!) and see if that cures my problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice