1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP and Outlook Express 6

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Tom T., Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom T.

Tom T. Thread Starter

Hello, I am running Win XP Pro using Outlook Express 6 as my e-mail program on one family computer. We use a dial up ISP. We have 3 different users (3 different accounts) on this computer. I am the administrator.

I have tried to set up shared access among the 3 users to the single e-mail account we have. Problem is if user 1 accesses e-mail, all that is downloaded is unavailable for viewing, reply, etc. to user 2 and 3. What user 2 downloads is unavailble to users 1 and 3 and so on.

Is there a way to set up a common folder where all users have equal access to all e-mail messages?

Thanks for any help.
    Tom T.

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy Tom T

I just setup a ( dummy...that would be me) :) second user account...I logged on as the new user opened OE clicked on tools then accounts then on the mail tab then click add then mail and entered the same info to the wizard screens as is in the existing account... It appears though the new user has all the access that I have from the admin account.

hope that helps

buck

3. angel

angel

Tools>Options, Internet Email tab and choose to save messages on server. You'll want to do this for 2 of the three accounts. If you do it for all three, your box on your ISPs server will fill up.
    What this does is allow the 2 users to receive new messages but they'll still be downloaded when the third user logs on so depending on who logs in when, not all users will still receive all mail. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a way to 'share' the same stored mailbox since each is its own separate identity. I could be wrong.
    Outlook, however, would allow you to do this. Each user could be setup to access the exact same pst file on the computer so would see everything the same (sent items, inbox, deleted, etc).

It's early - does any of that make sense?

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

Thanks for adding that angel

I had forgotten that step because I had already done it for a small home network

buck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice