1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp and printservers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jimkoppel, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimkoppel

jimkoppel Thread Starter

have a new dell with windows xp on a small home network.

unfortunately, my linksys print server hss NO drivers for windows xp.

would drivers for windows 2000 work?

are there any print servers out there that might work on windows xp and windows ME - both operating systems?

thanks

2. Dan O

Dan O

The beaut of a print server PC like the Link it's a stand-alone unit, so it doesn't require a dedicated print server PC running XP or whatever OS. Therefore, no XP upgrade is required. What model do you have? Here's a link about the PPSX1 - EtherFast® 10/100 PrintServer: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=33&grid=27

3. jimkoppel

jimkoppel Thread Starter

i am using a standalone link sys print server hooked up to a hub on the network...
    according to the linksys site, there is no mention of windows xp

any ideas?

4. jimkoppel

jimkoppel Thread Starter

software must be run on each computer on the network in order to use the print server. i have loaded software onto computers running windows 95, 98 and windows me.

unfortunately, there is no software for the computer running windows xp...

that's the problem which i cannot solve.

any ideas?

5. Dan O

Dan O

Which model are you using. And what software did you load? I am not disagreeing with you but normally all you have to do add a printer to the PC and state it's a network printer, such as \\server\printer or http://server/printer/myprinter/.printer. Which required no special software to be loaded.

6. jimkoppel

jimkoppel Thread Starter

it is a linksys etherfast 10/100 printserver

the software comes with the printserver on a cd rom

the cd is entitled setup and utility c.d. for ppsx1, epsc3 and efsp42

and is mean for win 95 98 and windows me

linksys says there are no drivers yet for windows xp

strange, huh.

do you think i have to buy a 300 jetdirect print server from hewlett packard which states windows xp compatability?

thanks for your patients and assistance

7. Dan O

Dan O

You're welcome.

With the model number I was able to look into how to configure it. Wow, what a pain to use with TCP/IP. They made if much hard then it needs to be. I forget the one we use to use at work, TCP setup was a piece of cake. We since have gone with the HP 4200 Print Server Appliance, nice box. I know nothing about the HP 300 Jetdirect, maybe someone else will respond.

Good luck.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice