1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP and problem copying text to Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hup, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hup

hup Thread Starter

I have Win XP Home. Previous versions of Windows allowed me to copy "something" like a phrase from an internet site and paste the copied words into a Word or Excel document.

Win XP home will not let me do this easily. The application that I will paste to must be open first before XP will copy the text. That is, if I want to copy the phrase "COPY ME" from a web site to Word, I need to have Word open first, then I copy the phrase and paste it to Word.

Help. How can I get back to the way Win 95 and 98 worked allowing me to copy something, open an application and then paste the phrase?

thanks

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

I (a) don't have this problem (b) found a few comments where this had been experienced (NB - but no solutions).

There was a suggestion to the effect that the act of opening the Office app was clearing the clipboard. I suggest you copy something, then run the clipboard (in windows\system32 probably), then run e.g. Word to see what happens. Might help to rule this out.

Have you XP ServicePack1'ed?

Rgds,
    Andy

3. hup

hup Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. I'll try that.

this happens on 2 Win XP computers, both with SP1 installed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice