1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP and Scan disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by margie821, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

How can I co a scan of my computer with XP as I use to be able to do with ME? I had to buy a new tower which I had them install XP Professional but it doesn't seem to have scan disk on it as ME did and I'd like to scan my drives for problems.
    Thanks

2. Cookies

Cookies

Start/run type in "command". Then, "sfc /scannow" (don't forget the space after "c").

3. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

Thanks Cookie but I'm assuming I typed something incorrectly as it didn't work. I left the space after the "c" but do I leave any spaces after command? Am I suppose to type it just as you replied, "command" "sfc /scannow" ?? Sorry, obviously I'm not too much of a techie! Could you type it exactly as I'm suppose to type it in run please. :rolleyes:
    Thanks again,
    margie821

4. Cookies

Cookies

Sorry, should have been more clear.

Start (lower left), go to "run" and you should see a small box with "run" in the title bar. In that window type in "command" (no quotes).

The Windows system32 prompt should appear (it's a black DOS box).

In that window (the black one) type in "sfc /scannow" -- don't forget the space after SFC ok?

PS: Have your Windows CDR handy in case you're prompted for it.

5. margie821

margie821 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying so quickly Cookie. I tried what you said and it didn't do anything so when I tried to close out it asked for my cd which I put in and that took about 5 minutes saying it was checking to see if my window's files were all correct and the origional ones, then it closed out. Thanks anyway's. I did do exactly as you instructed.
    margie821

6. Cookies

Cookies

That's good margie. Can you tell us what trouble you've having? :) Symptoms and be as elaborate as you can ?

Edit:
    Or tell us what's not working right? OK?

7. Huon

Huon

Another way to use scandisk is to open 'My Computer". Then RIGHT click on your C: Drive, go down the list that appears to Properties and left click on that. Then click on the "Tools" tab. Two buttons appear, "Error checking" and "Defragmention". The error checking button is XP's Scandisk, press "Check now" and then "Start". Might be easier for you Margie. If you have more that one hard drive, you can repeat this on each.

8. boyoh53

boyoh53

The way my XP scandisk works is I click on it now and then it tells
    me it needs to start before Windows starts (or something like that). It then asks me if I want it done on next bootup and I click "yes" it then starts and asks if you still wish to have it done and gives something like 15 seconds to make your mind up.
    Mine can take up to ½ hour to complete.
    Do you not get anything like that? :)

9. thingy

thingy

There's a difference between sfc /scannow and Scandisk which is now chkdsk anyway

sfc /scannow is similar to the old System File Checker on 98\ME

chkdsk is run either from C Drive - Properties - Tools - or from the Command Prompt

10. Huon

Huon

I do mine as per my previous post boyoh, and it runs straight away. Can take 10 min at worst, unless I tell it to scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors. Then it does a physical check that can be lengthy, but it does not need to do it on bootup.

11. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

There is no Scandisk in XP, it was dropped after ME. Chkdsk is something else that's been around since the DOS days.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice