1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP and USB ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gventrella, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gventrella

gventrella Thread Starter

Hi all. Hope someone's got some wisdom on this out there; tech support is useless elsewhere.

I am running Windows XP on a Gateway system; this is a recent upgrade from Windows Me. The system has 2 USB ports in the front and 3 in the back. The back ports seem to work fine; my mouse/keyboard and cable modem are attached there. I have been trying to get a printer and a Palm cradle attached to the front; despite numerous attempts and frustrations and cursing, the Add New Hardware Wizard always freezes. My system has no serial or parallel ports, so I have to use converter cables, one for each of the devices. I have contacted tech support for Gateway and Belkin(converter cable manufacturer)- no help. I have made sure I have all updated drivers.

So this is the glory of plug-and-play?? Anybody have similar woes or any wisdom?

Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is your printer parallel? If so just buy a parallel PCI card instead of using converters. I've never used converter cables for usb to serial and don't know how well they work and doubt all devices work on them, plus they seem very pricey.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For around $25-30, you can have a dual port PCI serial board, and probably no more than $20 for a PCI parallel port. I'll have to go with the previous poster's suggestion to use the correct hardware for the job. And, next time, don't buy a Gateway! :D

4. Hamill

Hamill

I would buy a usb hub and connect it on one of the working usb ports and then connect the devices needed via usb. usb can support upto 127 devices so connecting all of them will not be an issue.

5. MakrObi

MakrObi

It could be two other things. I've had a lot of motherboard/OS conflicts with gateways. It could also be doing an upgrade from ME. I've seen this to be a problem plenty of times before as well. Usually, going from a clean install instead of an update is the best bet i feel.

6. Richardhtml

Richardhtml

The Front Panel USB must attach to an auxiliary USB area on your motherboard, have you opened the case to ensure they are plugged in?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice