1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP and Windows 98 SE [Dual Operating System]

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nick0219, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

Hey how do i set up my harddrive. i have windows xp installed and i want to install windows 98 on the same drive. how do i do this so i can access any drive i want to? thanks for help

2. tecknomage

tecknomage

If you didn't partition your hard drive when you installed WinXP, you have a problem.

You have 2 options:

• Reinstall WinXP and partition the drive on this go around
    • Use a 3rd-party partition utility

The best 3rd-party partition utility I've use is Partition Magic.

This utility has been a god-send. It can repartition (with format) a drive that already has software on it. It can resize partitions, again with data on the partition. Fix MBR.

It can copy a partition to another hard drive. This is the feature that allowed me to install a new hard drive and copy my original C: + D: to it and the new drive booted without a hitch.

Partition Magic is worth every penny (y)

In your case, if you use Partition Magic or some other such utility:
    1. Make a backup of your hard drive first
    2. Optimize the hard drive
    3. Now run the utility and pick a partition size and format it FAT32 (for Win98), new partition at the end of the original partition of course
    4. Now run a Win98 install and select the new partition

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

In order to access all drives, you either need to install XP to a FAT32 formatted drive, or install NTFS drivers in 98 to access XP's NTFS drives.

An even better solution may be one of many emulators, some good ones of which are free. Virtual PC, Parallels Workstation, and VirtualBox are good, free ones and you could then run XP and 98 at the same time with no partitioning needed and very easy uninstallation if you change your mind or want to use a different operating system.

4. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

thanks, i have partition majic. but one time when i used it for my desktop it erased my HD and i had to re-install windows and all my **** was gone!!. i was pissed

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try another partitioner. Anything is better than Partition Magic. Paragon Partition Manager, Acronis suite, and many others.

6. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

ok so the first step i have to reformat my harddrive completly, correct.

then i install xp over again and use a partition software. then i seperate the HD's and i install windows 98 SE on one of them?

correct

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You'll need to set up your partitions before installing anything. You would be better off formatting your partitions later, except for the one that you need to format for the installation.

So, set up your partitions, format one as FAT32, and install 98 to it.

Then, boot from your XP CD and install XP to another partition. Formatting is part of XP setup so do it from there (NTFS). XP setup will automatically detect the presence of 98 and set up a dual-boot menu for you.

After that, format any other partitions you may have from Disk Management within XP. If you want the partitions to be accessible from both 98 and XP, format them as FAT32.

8. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

but...how do i install that program if i don't have an OS installed? ok see i have reformatted my FAT32 HD. and now its just says operating system not found?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice